Treating Blackbeard Algae with Hydrogen Peroxide

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Hello all,

I'm having some issues with Blackbeard Algae again and I want to try Hydrogen Peroxide as a treatment this time.
I've read many good things about it too, but I am a little confused about the treatment and dosage.

1. Spot treatment - are you dosing the affected area directly? or just pouring it into the tank?
What is your trick to use peroxide to kill this stuff?

2. What dosage is recommended to kill it?
I have fish and plants in these tanks (no inverts).
This is a 60 gallon tank.

I would assume that the carbon also needs to be removed like any other medication being added.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I can't directly answer your question as I would myself never resort to this treatment. My approach--and believe me, I have battled this particular algae more than once--is to work out the balance between light intensity/duration and nutrients for the plants. Once you have this, you will not see brush algae issues, I assure you--unless the balance gets off, as can occur with additonal daylight in summer or something. It may still be there, on wood, but it will not increase to smother the plants. I have achieved this by reducing light, and in other situations by reducing fertilization. I can explain more if asked. It is always safer for fish and plants and the system to resolve the cause rather than band-aid treatments that will likely not work long-term if the root issues are not corrected.

Byron.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I will make the adjustments in my tanks, however I was gone for the last few weeks and it has gotten out of control in a few of them.
I am looking for a quick solution to help bring it back down under control while I modify my lighting and dosing and water currents.
This being the case, it is even more important not to be adding unnecessary substances into the water. You want to restore the healthy biology, not increase foreign substances. Major water changes, with a good vacuuming of the substrate. Balance light and nutrients.

The algae that is there will remain, but the above will prevent it from increasing. This is also safer than attempting a massive die-off which will further aggravate things.

Byron.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I've spot treated with hydrogen peroxide using a syringe. An eyedropper or similar can work as well. Just squirt directly onto the algae.
I kept the total dosage to 2mm per gallon, so in your case you should be able to safely dose a total of 120mm of peroxide per day. I've heard of people dosing more that that but I try to err on the side of caution.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
I usually take out the plants and other items that have BBA, put them in a bucket with a little tank water, and then treat with hydrogen peroxide, to make sure I really get the BBA.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store