90 Litre Tank Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
I am planning on getting the Fluval Roma 90 tank with an extra Interpet PF1 filter for extra filtration. The dimensions are 60x35x40cm. I'm relatively new to the hobby (I've had tetras and cories before) but I know about cycling. I've checked this stocking on Aqadvisor but I want to get some advice from real people. Here's my current stocking idea:

2 Kribensis (Same-Sex as they get too agressive when breeding)/ 2 Bolivian Rams (If available and depending on price)
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Dwarf Gourami
10 Galaxy Rasbora (Celestial Pearl Danios)
6 Panda Cory

Any thoughts or advice on this stocking would be much appreciated.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Thank you for asking before buying. This can save fish, as well as your sanity.:22_yikes:

A 90 litre tank is roughly 23 gallons. This is insufficient space for two kribensis or two Bolivian rams. I personally would not put one of either in this small a tank, but having said that it coould sort-of work.

The dwarf gourami would work space-wise but this fish is a real risk. The Honey Gourami is safer, disease-wise. I think Dr. Neale Monks' advice on the dwarf is very wise: never buy it except from a reliable private breeder.

My suggestion would be to base this tank around the group of Celestial/Galaxy rasboras (Danio margaritatus). A group of 20+ would be better (fin nipping is less likely), with lots of plants, would be beautiful. The corys are OK with them. The Bristlenose would work with these, but I wouldn't, for reasons I'm not exactly sure I can explain...so I won't try.

Byron.

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks for all of your advice. I toyed with the idea of a pearl gourami for a while although I'm now pretty sure that my tank isn't big enough for, although there are conflicting minimum tank sizes. Aqadvisor says my tank is big enough for a pair with the Pleco, Rasbora and Cories although some sites recommend at least 30-40 gallons for one! What about the Rasbora, Cories and Pleco with either a pair or three honey gourami (1:2 mf ratio)? I'm not sure which would be better. However, I just found an article which says 4-6 would be better? "Though not gregarious in the sense of schooling fishes it does seem to require interaction with conspecifics and displays more interesting behaviour when maintained in numbers, meaning the purchase of no less than 4-6 specimens is recommended. Groups develop noticeable hierarchies and you’ll often see dominant individuals chasing away their rivals at feeding time or when occupying their favourite spot." I'm slightly confused as to how many would be better. Any help would be appreciated. Also, any ideas of a slightly larger colourful fish to replace the dwarf gourami would be much appreciated. Although Mollies, Platies and Guppies are pretty, personally I find them a bit plain and boring.

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
Would Sparkling Gourami be ok? I'm sort of worried about the temperatures with them and the Galaxy Rasboras. Or maybe just the one Kribensis or two females as I assume that they are less territorial and therefore less prone to aggression? A lot of sites say that a 60 litre is the minimum for a pair of kribensis so maybe my 90 litre would be ok? All I'm worried about is the agression that they display while breeding and with fry so I think a same-sex pair might be better.

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I think I understand your thinking of wanting something of a "centrepiece" fish; this is common with many who have tanks in the 20-30 gallon range. But generally it really doesn't work. "Larger" fish bring with them specific requirements. These tanks are actually more interesting with smaller fish. I have six tanks running presently, 115g, 90g, 70g, 33g, 20g and 10g, and the largest fish I own is my Bolivian Ram at just over three inches, and he is in the largest tank. I just can't imagine him in the 20g.

Gourami are best in groups. They are not "shoaling" fish in the sense of most of the characins, cyprinids, etc., but like angelfish and discus, gourami do have defined hierarchies and interactions, so generally a small group is best. And males are territorial, sometimes very much so. The species that would work in your tank are again the small ones, certainly not the Pearl which is so beautiful it really should have a 4-foot tank with a group of 5-6. The problem with Aqadvisor is that it is impossible to write all the factors into the program.

If the Danio margaritatus are really intended, I do think this species is setting the parameters. Here is an excerpt from a profile of this species I wrote a couple years ago for another site:
Compatibility/Temperament: Shy and quiet by nature, and given its minute size, it should have its own aquarium. Dominant males can be quite feisty, even nipping fins of rival males, but kept in a group of 20 or more lessens the damage. The tank should be well planted to break up the line of sight.

I think corys are OK here...but perhaps not Corydoras panda now that I think of it. This species occurs in higher mountain streams in Peru, specifically the Rio Aquas and Rio Amarillas (tributary of Rio Pachitea), Rio Ucayali system, upper Amazon basin in Peru. Water flow is somewhat faster in these mountain streams, with cooler temperatures; substrate is sand/very fine gravel. I have a group of five of these, and they "play" in the strong flow from the canister filter right where it enters the tank. D. margaritatus would not appreciate this, as they occur in boggy areas and shallow ponds. And here is one of those "factors" that makes Aqadvisor difficult.

I've probably thrown a few more wrenches into the works here, but there is a lot involved in combining different fish species in an enclosed system. This has been one of my primary areas of focus over the years. In those tanks I mentioned earlier, I have fish in say the 70g that would never work in the 115g, nor again the 90g, and not because of temperament or aggressiveness but solely because of the other fish's level of activity, or the water current which is different in each tank.

Byron.

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I was only really interested in Galaxy Rasbora because they're interesting, they're small so they don't add to the stocking too much and they have them in my LFS. What about this: the Pleco, a single Kribensis or maybe a couple of honey gourami, the cories and then 6-12 (maybe about 8 or 9 for the rough size I'm considering) depending on their size and whether I get the krib or the honeys? I'm thinking of maybe lemon tetra, black skirt tetra or rummynose tetra. Probably not the rummynose seeing as they can be quite finicky with the water chemistry. I really want some sort of centrepiece fish. Something not too big bust still colourful. I know you can still get a lot of colour with a shoal but I think i'd prefer to have a smaller shoal and a centrepiece fish rather than just a larger shoal. I'm not going to run out and buy an angelfish or a betta any time soon but I would like some sort of colourful single or paired fish.

Last edited:

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I agree that a nice school of small fish is a great centerpiece for a tank, and it tends to be more appropriate for the smaller tanks.

And a nice alternative to a bristlenose is a school of otocinclus. They are adorable and low-key, and people love seeing them eat fresh fruits and veggies since most people think fish only eat "fish food" and algae.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
If that were my tank, I'd add a single female krib. They are much prettier than the gouramis imo. But if you want to see interactions, then the gouramis might be better

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
I like both the bristlenose and the otocinclus. The only problem is that i've only seen bristenoses at the fish shops I have looked at. However I am planning to look at some shops slightly further afield so maybe I might find them there. The only problem is, I've researched and found out that otos should be kept in groups of at least six and if i replace the pleco with 6 otos with my current stocking, my tank would be overstocked.

Last edited:

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
I've realised that I could maybe have a dwarf gourami in there so this is my new (and hopeful final) stocking idea: 1 Kribensis (not sure whether to get male or female), 1 Dwarf Gourami or 2 Honey Gourami, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 6 Panda Cory and about 8 or 9 Lemon Tetra. Thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store