breeding fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wheresmyloach

AC Members
Apr 15, 2004
Visit site
I am thinking of breeding fish. But I am not really looking at keeping them. What do you do with the fish after they have been bread. I found a store that could take them, do you reccomend this? And what kind of fish should I breed. I would do this in a 10 gallon tank. I might be able to buy a msaller one if it is better but probably not a larger one.

Ken

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
First, don't expect to make money at it, cause it probably ain't gonna happen.

But if just want to have fun, make sure you understand the stuff from this area:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24798

( from the sticky in the newbie forum: useful links)

Make sure you understand cycling especially, and the basics of setting up a tank.

A ten gallon is going to limit you. The easiest thing for you to raise in this small tank will be livebearers IMO, and probably the best choice for a ten would be guppies or platies.

I would buy one fancy male and about four females.

You may not even need the male, since females are often pregnant in the store, but he'll keep things moving in your tank.

Watch your females, and it won't be long till one or more of them look like they're going to pop.

Keep some plants in the tank, like foxtail or java moss, and one morning you will spot tiny fry darting around.

Then you need to carefully dip them out and put them in a breeder net, or better yet, another tank.

If you set up another tank, cover the filter intake with mesh or cloth to keep them from getting sucked up.

Feed the babies about three times a day by crushing up a good complete flake food.

Sinking wafers are a treat for them too.

Personally I like another tank just for the fry, because it doesn't take long to acumulate a whole bunch of babies, and watching a tank full of them is loads of fun.

If you lfs will give you cash credit on them for food and such, you have a nice set up, because you can have a fun time breeding fish while having somewhere to trade them for stuff you actually need, which is exactly what I do.

There are people who have a lot more experience than me who will have different opinions on this, but the method I described will work for you.

Just remember to learn about setting up a healthy tank before you try, or you'll have heartaches and headaches.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
And what kind of fish should I breed. I would do this in a 10 gallon tank. I might be able to buy a msaller one if it is better but probably not a larger one.
You do realize that you have to grow the fry out to a size ready for retail?
This takes months in large, roomy grow out tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store