Restocking a 26g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tib ert

Registered Member
Aug 6, 2014
I'm currently waiting for a my tank to recover from a camallanus worm infection which wiped nearly every fish. The survivors are a handful of baby guppies and a oto.
Lost 2 pearl gourami, 2 GBR, 6 rummynose, 5 zebra danio and 4 adult guppies, along with multiple babies. I do have amano and ghost shrimps who seem to enjoy the situation, and a dwarf orange crayfish.

In the meanwhile, I'm currently trying to plan my new stock ( Tank is a 26g bowfront with a fluval c3 and a canister 306, moderately to densely planted)

2 dwarf Gourami for the top layer
While I liked the pearl, they got a bit too big, so I'm looking for something that will remain smaller. But I know they might be infected by the gourami virus, so I'm not sure if its a good idea to get some.

The Gf would like to get some neon or cardinal Tetra, maybe 10 of them.

She would also like one angelfish, a very small one and hope he does see his tank mate as food when he gets bigger.

Finally, a pair of Bolivian rams for the bottom layer

So my main questions are :

Dwarf gourami : take the chance to get diseased one? (If not, any alternative for colourful top dweller ?)

For the 2 chichild species : Should I hope they don't like fresh seafood or it's a bad idea ?
If not, are there any alternative for a fish with personality but not as aggressive ?

Can i treat with levamisole when I'll restock, just to be sure ?

Any help would be welcome

Tibert

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I'm currently waiting for a my tank to recover from a camallanus worm infection which wiped nearly every fish. The survivors are a handful of baby guppies and a oto.
Lost 2 pearl gourami, 2 GBR, 6 rummynose, 5 zebra danio and 4 adult guppies, along with multiple babies. I do have amano and ghost shrimps who seem to enjoy the situation, and a dwarf orange crayfish.

In the meanwhile, I'm currently trying to plan my new stock ( Tank is a 26g bowfront with a fluval c3 and a canister 306, moderately to densely planted)

2 dwarf Gourami for the top layer
While I liked the pearl, they got a bit too big, so I'm looking for something that will remain smaller. But I know they might be infected by the gourami virus, so I'm not sure if its a good idea to get some.

The Gf would like to get some neon or cardinal Tetra, maybe 10 of them.

She would also like one angelfish, a very small one and hope he does see his tank mate as food when he gets bigger.

Finally, a pair of Bolivian rams for the bottom layer

So my main questions are :

Dwarf gourami : take the chance to get diseased one? (If not, any alternative for colourful top dweller ?)

For the 2 chichild species : Should I hope they don't like fresh seafood or it's a bad idea ?
If not, are there any alternative for a fish with personality but not as aggressive ?

Can i treat with levamisole when I'll restock, just to be sure ?

Any help would be welcome

Tibert
Personally, I would not acquire dwarf gourami unless you can get them from a reliable local breeder. Those in stores are risky. The Honey Gourami is a better choice, and here a trio with one male and two females would work.

I would not recommend a lone angelfish; this species is a shoaling fish and is best in a small group for which there is insufficient space. Yes, it can be kept alone, but this is not the best for the fish, and it could cause issues if stressed.

Bolivian Rams are OK, but there are some issues to be aware of. First, this is a species that does do well alone (a single fish). Two males is not a good idea in so small a space.If you want a pair, make sure they bond; not all fish will. You can usually see this in the group in the store tank. If you do get a pair they will spawn repeatedly, which is fine on its own, but they protect their eggs/fry (or try to) and some fish like substrate catfish can get picked on. Also, catfish being nocturnal, the eggs or fry usually disappear during darkness, which is fine unless you happen to want them.

As for using medications, this should only be done when there is a certainty of disease being present. I can't offer more as I have never (fortunately) had to deal with worms. Others who have wsill be best able to offer advice.

Byron.

tiger oscar

Mr.Bushynose pleco
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta,Canada
Real Name
You will never know
Angel fish like groups... How about Odessa barbs?

Tib ert

Registered Member
Aug 6, 2014
Thank for the comments

After reading, we decided to go with small schooling fish and go with cichlids when we get a bigger tank

So we are aiming for
cardinal and or neon tetras 6 to 10
Harlequin rasbora 6
Cherry barb 6
Dwarf honey gourami 3 (1m + 2f)
and maybe some corycat 4

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
seems alright but i would bump up the cory number to 6,4 is okay but it will be a bit small for a school.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store