Calcium and Gypsum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Hello All,
My tapwater has less than one degree of calcium, so I have been gradually adding a gardening product called "Liquid Gypsum", which contains 90% calcium chloride, to my 29 gallon tank. So far I have dosed 5 teaspoons, which seems like a lot, but the tank water still tests out at less that one degree calcium. Is something else going on here, or do I simply need to add more? Thanks.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Just learned that liquid gypsum is just the powdered form plus water, so it's pretty diluted, meaning maybe I'm not adding nearly as much to my tank as I thought.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I would not use a product like this.

I assume the calcium is for the plants. While calcium is one of the "hard" minerals and a macronutrient for plants, there are others that may be lacking too. What is the GH of your tap water? If this is below 4 dGH (= 71 ppm) then I would add something like Equilibrium, Mineralize or GH+ (not sure I have the names correct). These are geared to providing a balance of the hard minerals for plants, but willnot raise pH (pure calcium alone will) and this may be significant for fish, depending upon what you have.

Byron.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
My tapwater is 3dGH. Two weeks ago I added enough Equilibrium to bring it up to 6dGH in the tank, but the calcium still tested less than a degree, so I then started adding the liquid gypsum. Is pH the concern with adding too much?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
My tapwater is 3dGH. Two weeks ago I added enough Equilibrium to bring it up to 6dGH in the tank, but the calcium still tested less than a degree, so I then started adding the liquid gypsum. Is pH the concern with adding too much?
I would not bother measuring calcium. I frankly have no idea what level of calcium is required, but one can get very bogged down measuring for various minerals. With a GH of 4 dGH or higher, there will be sufficient for plants provided this GH is being achieved with something like Equilibrium which contains sufficient calcium along with the other hard minerals.

I have had no issues with plants doing this, and in several experiments it has always been sufficient to solve low calcium issues with plants.

The pH is obviously a concern, assuming you have soft water fish. Plants generally have no issues over pH, within reason, unlike fish. The nice thing about Equilibrium is that it does not raise pH; it certainly never has for me.

Byron.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Thanks. Good to know Equilibrium alone takes care of things. Some plants simply weren't growing as nicely as I would like, so I'll keep tweaking and watching.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store