Fruit Flies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
My halfbeaks have been doing well on freeze dried daphnia, tubifex, frozen bloodworms, and flake food.......but they really do best on live food. So, I was happy when my fruit fly starter culture arrived yesterday.

They are the hydei variety, which have wings but cannot fly. After dumping a bunch of them into a container to get the culture going, I dropped the rest into the aquarium. My honey gouramis were the first to notice them, but surprisingly wouldn't eat them. Then my halfbeaks noticed the fluttering flies and the feeding frenzy began........wow, what an awesome sight to watch! It was amazing to see their true feeding habits.......they are aggressive feeders with the bloodworms, but nothing like the way they attack the live fruit flies.

Anyway, I have one small question for anyone who has cultured fruit flies before. I mixed the media with water, and added a pinch of yeast as the instructions said to do. The yeast is just sitting on top of the mixture, and I was wondering if it was supposed to be mixed in or not. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I was just wondering.

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
I do not think it matters.

I had bleeding heart tetras that jumped out of the water for fruitflies when I feed them.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Just leave it on top. The adults can munch on it for the protein, and it will get stirred in soon enough when the larvae start to churn up the food.

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
nice too see that you are allowed to spread those things over their get caught with them here out of the area and you can say good by the ur car,house, boat etc HUGE fines an i meen HUGE upwards of 20 000 per offence and if you have a bag for fruit:eek: thats if my memory serves me correctly

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Thanks everyone, good to know that I did it right! Now I just have to be patient.....

Tia - why are they illegal there, and what's the reason for having such harsh penalties? Seems excessive to me, but I suppose there has to be a good reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store