Macrognathus lineatomaculatus "Orange Fantasy Eel" Info?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FSM

Pastafarian
Mar 30, 2008
Georgia
I was at the local shop looking around and this fish caught my eye because it was swimming around all over the tank, which I wouldn't expect an eel to be doing. Also it's adorable. I am wondering if this is likely to be the accurate ID for the fish. I read that it was recently split off from M. aral, so there is hardly any info on this particular species. Guy at the shop said it'll get about 12". Also that they'd had it for 2 weeks and it was eating bloodworms so it seemed like a safe purchase.

Anybody else keep these? Is it normal for spiny eels to be so active? The fish settled in almost immediately and is swimming all over my tank.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I have had a couple eels over the years and I always liked them. Depending on the variety they can get more than 12". The only advice I have is to make sure the tank is sealed around the top. Eels are escape artists and tend to dry out quickly.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Macrognathus lineatomaculatus seems to be the likely species. IME small spiny eels usually do well on frozen bloodworms, earthworms for larger ones. I never had much luck with peacock eels, but had a tire track for a couple years until it outgrew my tank. More recently I've been keeping Tanganykian spiny eels. Had a pair of plagiostoma for a couple years that spawned pretty often, but the male always ate the eggs soon after. Currently have a plagiostoma and a tanganicae (not certain about species, closest I could find) that also eat NLS pellets along with the cichlids and Synodontis catfish. The Tang eels don't have the typical Asian eel tendency to swim up into hob filters or find any available opening in the cover to escape through. They do usually stay out of sight with all the larger fish moving around, but come out quickly for bloodworms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store