Black neon tetras and water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

neciavanvuuren

Registered Member
Aug 13, 2014
Hello all. :)

I need some advice on how to deal with the following situation. Last week (5 August) I started my cycling process with 4 black neon tetras. All was fine. Over the weekend, however, my dad's girlfriend bought me another 6 black neons and 6 neons. I am well aware that putting too many fish in the tank while it is cycling is going to result in most of the fish doing backstroke. I also couldn't really take the fish back to the pet shop (in retrospect, maybe I could've), or reject the gift she had given me.

I introduced the fish into the tank without quarantining them (second mistake). Needless to say, neither the tank, nor the fish could deal with this. All 12 perished within the first 48 hours. A pity, but a mistake that won't be made again.

On Saturday, after I had put the other fish in, I did a 20% water change. Monday, when most of them had died, I did another 20% water change. After this whole escapade, only the four black neons that I had originally put into the aquarium are left. Monday night, our power went out at around 00:00 and only came back on at 9:30 am. Yesterday they seemed to be doing perfectly fine. This morning when I woke up, the one had lost all it's colour (it looked like a ghost and the black stripe was completely gone) and was literally lying in the corner. In a total panic, I did another 10% water change. When I got home this afternoon, it had regained some colour and was not hovering near the bottom anymore.

Now to get to my question.

I read somewhere that you can do daily water changes. Apparently you can do two small water changes per day as well. Is there a limit to how many water changes you must do? Because I honestly think the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels weren't where they were supposed to be. The water change must have helped. Should I do another one today?

Also, could the one have been close to dying because of the power failure? I know the temperature must be kept constant, but it seemed fine... But I don't know. Could this have been what caused the one to go ghost?

And this one that was so upset this morning is now hovering in the upper level of the tank, near the heater and filter. It also didn't eat with the others. It is still not looking as healthy as it used to. If I do do the water change, do you think it might help this one survive?

neciavanvuuren

Registered Member
Aug 13, 2014
I'm going to go and test it now. I don't have a kit, as it was violently expensive at the time...

Also, the one has now died, but in a way that none of the others have. It's floating through the tank on its back and not lying on the gravel like the others...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Necia- Welcome to the board.

Best I can tell, you have a ~15gal, un-cycled tank. Are you adding dechlorinated water? Like said, you should have a liquid water parameter test kit. They're about $30 and last years.

Intending to do a fish-in cycle with new, store bought neons will pretty much always be a disaster. They're not overly healthy from the get-go, given the way they are bread and distributed, so they're stressed and unhealthy when you get them.

Secondly, neons are cool water fish. They do best in ~67-74F water, in a healthy, established tank with low nitrates.

You can do a fish-in cycle with something like a few zebra danios, but you'll be doing 50% daily water changes for quite some time.

Read up on your cycling options and proper water parameters.

neciavanvuuren

Registered Member
Aug 13, 2014
Thanks guys :) Took my water to get tested, and Nitrite/nitrate (?) levels were very high. The man at the aquarium shop said exactly that about the 50% water changes. He suggested I treat my tank with NITRIDAC (to help the growth of good bacteria). I'm going to do that and see how it goes. Thanks for the warning about the temperature!:)

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I would look into the cheap test strips if $30 is too much right now. I wouldn't rely on them 100% but its better than not having anything. If you go to the articles section here, look up the "cycle" article. It will have more information than any petstore owner is likely to tell you.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Hi there and welcome to AC!

Sorry to hear about the loss of all those neons.
It has happened to many of us at one time or another when first cycling.

I found one of the better test kits for ~$23.
http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwate...r=1-1&keywords=api+freshwater+master+test+kit

If you want to do the fish in cycle, that is fine.
I would suggest doing every other day water changes instead of daily as the cycle will complete faster.
Or you can go to 3 days and it will go faster.
I usually look at my fish for confirmation of whether or not the change is needed.
Test results should be your main indicator, but if the fish are acting fine and eating well, then I usually let it slide for another day or two.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
You seem to be on track now, mainly, but it won't hurt to emphasize a couple of things.

First, this is a small tank at 53 litres (= approx 15 gallons). One group of fish the size of black neons is going to more than fill this space. This is a shoaling fish that needs a group, minimum is usually suggested as six, but I would say 7-8. That is it. Perhaps a substrate fish, but nothing else. Live plants will help both in water stability/quality but also to provide some cover. Tetra are quite skittish fish, and all species (may be an exception or two) live in dim waters with thick cover in the form of branches, overhanging vegetation or aquatic plants. They will be more settled, and thus healthier, in such an environment.

Now to the cycling. You've learned your lesson, as we all did. I mentioned live plants; even some floating plants would help a lot on both counts, including with cycling. Use the bacterial supplement the store gave you; I don't know that brand but it certainly cannot harm. Go slow with new fish. If you decide to stay with black neons, and after those left are OK, slowly add to the group.

Water changes, provided the parameters between tank and tap water are close, are always beneficial. The more the better when in trouble. During cycling, change half the tank water every day, using a good conditioner (and the bacterial supplement). A conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite is also helpful during initial cycling; it will say on the label if it does. Once you test results show zero ammonia and zero nitrite for consecutive days, you are cycled and can go to once a week water changes.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Byron.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
actually neons are hardy it just depends where you get them i get mine from petco and they still do good.

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store