Oscar won't eat for me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I recently bought an full grown adult oscar to start off my 165g tank. He was the only fish for a few days and then I added a large jack dempsy. The oscar had been at the store for at least 1 month and the owner said he ate pellets but I have had him for 8 or 9 days and he has not eaten anything for me. He shows no interest in food whatsoever. The jd and oscar appear to get along just fine I have never witnessed any attacks and they frequently swim slowly together along the length of the tank. The oscar does have these pimple looking things on one side of his head that have appeared since I got him and he does seem to be skinny. He swims around just fine but will not eat for me. I have been using floating large cichlid pellets and today I got a earthworm from outfront (no pesticides ever) and dangled it in fromt of him but he showed no interest. He definitely saw it since he moved away from it. After 3 or 4 tries the jack ate it up.

What could be wrong and how can I get him to eat?

165 gallon tank, only the oscar and jd currently in the tank has no interest in worms or pellets, has eaten nothing since I got him about 8 days ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1407953193566.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's not uncommon for oscars to be a tad over dramatic when placed in a new home, or after a decor change, etc, but 8-9 days w/out interest in eating doesn't sound good. Some type of sickness. Any idea on the O's age, or where he came from?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
No idea on either but is fully grown and was a trade in

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's tough to judge from your pic, but he looks to be stunted, like he was kept in way too small a tank. He may have been subjected to a very high nitrate environment too, and is having difficulty acclimating to proper parameters and habitat.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Idk how big they can get but he is a solid 16" or better my jd is 13" and this guy is much larger but its possible. What do you think of the marks on his face? They look like pimples and they pop sometimes

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Doesn't sound stunted. LOL! Both of your fish are off the charts huge. Average O size is 13" or so. I don't think I've ever heard of a 13" JD.

I have no idea on the 'pimple' deal. Hole in the head and pop-eye are somewhat common on poorly kept Os. Not sure on what yours has going on.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Well I measured the jd when I had him in a 5 gal bucket which was 12" across and he filled every bit of it and the oscar is substantially larger than he is but his length is just a guess. Both sizes could be off as I never actually took them out and measured them properly. Anyone else have an idea as to why this guy won't eat?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I know the pics are hard to tell sizes but there both good size adults

uploadfromtaptalk1407972085011.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1407972104331.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area