How to catch oto cats

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I have 3 oto cats in my 40 gallon tank. I think I want to move them to my 10 gallon where theres a lot of green algea for them to eat. The problem is finding the three of them in the tank and then catching them.
Any idea on how to catch them?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I had to take my fish out last weekend to install the filter plates for my new RUGF. I just used my hands and carefully scooped them up. Ottos have a tendancy to get thier fins stuck in a net, and it's harder to get the net into tight spots anyways.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Try this: take a 16 oz plastic water bottle. Cut the top off about 1/3 of the way down. Insert the top half, small end first, into the bottom of the bottle. Then put an algae wafer, or whatever they like to eat in it and let it sit overnite on the bottom of your tank. It may take a day or 2, so don't feed them in the meantime. Eventually, they will venturein. Once in, they can;t get out. Kinda like a lobster trap. I use this method to catch pleco fry all the time, and it works great. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store