personality fish in 20g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CathyGo

AC Members
Dec 20, 2012
I'm looking for a fish with personality that won't conflict with my betta in a 20g. All the personality fish I know of either have long fins that the betta might confuse for another betta or are fin nippers that will be a threat to his fins.

I also have 3 zebra danios and an oto in the tank. Planning to add a few more danios. It's filtered by an aqua-ponics set-up and is fully cycled.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I'm looking for a fish with personality that won't conflict with my betta in a 20g. All the personality fish I know of either have long fins that the betta might confuse for another betta or are fin nippers that will be a threat to his fins.

I also have 3 zebra danios and an oto in the tank. Planning to add a few more danios. It's filtered by an aqua-ponics set-up and is fully cycled.
You're gonna be hard pressed to find a personality fish that isn't a fin nipper. You could try the Indian micro puffer. They usually are pretty peaceful but just like all types of fish you could get a randomly aggressive one...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I had an angelfish named Sheriff that was best buddies with a betta named doughnut. They would hang together when things were quiet rather close together. But I will say that was an unusual betta and an unusual angelfish. Both were not aggressive at all. The Angelfish nearly starved because it wasn't pushy enough to get food when it was with the other young angelfish. The betta I only saw flare his gills once and that was when he spooked and ran into something so hard he scraped some scales off his head.

There are possibilities, but it really depends on the personality of the personality fish.

CathyGo

AC Members
Dec 20, 2012
Most puffers I've met are major fin munchers. Even dwarfs.

The betta very carefully inspects each newcomer and initially flared at the oto so I know he's going to be a bit of a jerk. I guess he'll have to be the personality and I'll fill the rest with schools.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
You have tons of options. Paradise fish, Bolivian Rams, a single Krib, keyhole cichlid, dwarf gourami...I could go on. My favorites from those listed are paradise fish (if you want an Asian theme), Bolivian Rams or Keyhole cichlids. All are very personable fish that pay attention to those outside their tanks.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
uh not to be rude but really a paradise fish no they are the same as a betta.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Somehow I missed that there was a betta in there...missed the entire first paragraph. Paradise fish, in my 40 years of fishkeeping experience, make much better tankmates than most bettas...but there could be conflict between the species (although I'd expect the betta to be the problem initiating any issue...even though the paradise fish would take it out).

The other fish I listed, though, would do fine with a betta...unless the betta has an attitude.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store