Possible diy CO2 setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I used to run a DIY CO2 setup in a 10 gal a while back, and am thinking about trying something. let me know what you think. The idea is, Ill have the 2 litre bottle with sugar water and yeast ran normally, with the apropriate check valve placement. Then I would add a couple tees and shut off valves as shown. The idea is, injecting 02 with the air pump into the sugar water for a very short period of time will extend the lifespan of the yeast. ( it will also force more C02 into the tank during the process). I'm just thinking a second or 2 every morning or 2 times a day. The setup would allow me to isolate the CO2 as well, and use the air pump if i ever want pretty bubbles :hypnotized:
Looking at the diagram now, I realized I would need another check(or move the main check) between the co2 line near the bottle.

Im still trying to figure out if it would work to run the hose into the outlet port of my powerhead. It has that port which uses an optional attachment to pull some air into the outlet stream. With the RUGF setup, this would basically inject the co2 into the substrate. Im just not sure if it would be efficient or not. I might try it and if it doesn't work out, plan B. I would get a cheap micro diffuser, but I'm worried those wont handle the air pump.

Thoughts?

anura630

AC Members
May 22, 2008
Have you tried this yet? I don't know enough to help or offer any suggestions, but the idea intrigues me. Yeast basically grows best with O2 but the fermentation takes place in the absence of O2.....hmmm. Hoping someone chimes in soon!

Michele

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store