Snail deaths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adblair

Fisher
Dec 5, 2003
Memphis, TN
Visit site
Well, when I vacuumed my 10g. tonight, I found one of my large ivory snails had kicked the bucket (he smelled REALLY bad when I took him out too). I also found a green pond snail (half-penny size) shell - I presume he died as well because I only have 3 neons, a couple other snails, and some cories in there. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed an outbreak of new "baby" snails in that tank. I like the snails I have, but I don't want 10000000, so I cut back my feeding a little bit hoping it would keep the population from continuing to grow. The tank is heavily planted with anubias, java fern, java moss, bacopa, bronze crypt, microsword, and lutia(?). I noticed tonight also a pond snail on my crypt and some "snail holes" in a couple of its leaves. They have never bothered my plants before.

OK, so here's my question. Could the deaths be caused by starvation because I cut back the feeding? Would this also explain the sudden interest in my crypt or could it be the work of one rogue snail who needs a new home or could my crypt be "melting" even though it looks ok and they are just cleaning up? Any ideas on this would be appreciated. I don't want to lose my other ivory or my midnights. I thought that since they were the largest they would be the most likely to survive.... I guess not.:(

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Anything new in the tank? Any different ferts?

Snails usually don't starve quickly. I doubt that's what caused their deaths, and I doubt they were eating your crypts. I've used crypts in snail growing tanks and never had them be touched--and this included some large mystery snails, known to eat anything. The holes sound more like they are missing a specific nutrient, JMO.

adblair

Fisher
Dec 5, 2003
Memphis, TN
Visit site
No nothing new in the tank....
I've only had the ivories about 3 weeks, maybe they weren't healthy to begin with? Then combined with lack of food....

The crypt has been wonderful up until last night..... Then it suddenly had 1 dime sized hole in 3 leaves - not around the edges, relatively in the center. All the other leaves are fine and since I removed those three leaves it looks wonderfully full and healthy. I thought it might be the snails because there was a green pond snail on one of the leaves where the hole was - I assumed he was having lunch.:mad:

I guess I will watch my tank for a while and if there are no more deaths, I'll get another ivory.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
I had a problem with holes in my crypts and also thought it was snails. The problem disappeared when I started adding flourish to the tank which makes me think it was just a nutrient issue and the snails were only eating the dead portions of the leaves.

I have heard (*note* this means I have no scientific knowledge to back this up) that although pond snails usually do not harm plants, once they get large they will start to feed on live plants. so, if that's true and you have a big old pond snail in there, maybe that's an issue.

Only other problem I've had with snails dying is metal in the water but that resulted in a total invert die off.

Tom

adblair

Fisher
Dec 5, 2003
Memphis, TN
Visit site
I use flourish excel.... but come to think of it, I haven't added any in maybe a week.... I guess maybe that's it. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store