Muddy water after moving the tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
After moving the tank from one house to another ended up with muddy water.
Used the original soil and added more pool sand to cap it, put most of the original water back and added 40% of new water. Ended up with brown muddy water, can't see trough the water. Have fish in a temp tank, can't really keep them there too long.
Have several filters running, waiting for everything to settle down.
Don't want to put the fish back into the muddy water, but also can't wait too long.
Any ideas?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Time.....you could turn the filters off and try to let things settle then vac it off. If you have filter floss, you could let tour regular media float, stuff filters with the floss and maybe get it out that way.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Yes, was going to get floss today, thanks Bishop. What do you think about the fish, should I wait and not add them, got Discus and various tetras in a small holding tank.
Nothing wrong with the parameters, just very muddy water.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
With discus, I would probably wait a bit...also, check you ammonia/nitrite levels....stirring up the substrate could give you cycle and you may need a bigger water change.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Slow water changes is all ya can do. I've done this before :( ended well though!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store