PH and silica sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddoan

AC Members
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
I just set up a couple of tanks with silica sand (sandblasting sand). I tested the sand by doing the old vinegar test and checked for a reaction, nothing. I checked my ph of my tap water and it's a 8. I washed out the sand and put it in the tank and added the water. The ph then jumped well over 10 and the kh was sitting at almost 400 ppm. Is this normal?

meangene714

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
SoCal
Visit site
So are you making the implication that the sand could have caused the rise in pH?

Or are you inquiring about "silica sand" in particular?

As far as I know, regular beach sand and playground sand are made of silica, both of which I have heard of people using in aquariums.

I'm not sure if I've been helpfull, sorry if I haven't. Don't know much about pH, but my fish don't seem to mind.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Is this sand the only thing in your tank?

Some sands have other elements, such as crushed coral, in them which could raise pH.

Also, I don't think the vinegar test is really fool proof. Its my inderstanding that it is sometimes difficult to see/hear the reaction take place so it may be that your sandblasting sand is not so inert after all.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store