Fish in a 20 Gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

seachells

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
NC
I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank, currently inhabited by 3 albino corys and 5 black stripe tetras. I am wanting to get a few other fish, but I am unsure what would go well with what's already in there. I would like to get a pleco, but would like some other pretty colorful fish as well. I was looking at gourami's, but didn't know how they would get along with the others and how many I should get or if I could just get one? I really don't want anything like molly's. I would love something pretty but most show fish are saltwater or bettas it seems (i already have 2 bettas in separate tanks). I also really wanted to get a rainbow shark but read somewhere that they need 50 gallons to be happy?? I am going to get bigger than 20 gallons at some point so could I get a rainbow shark then transfer him before he gets too big? I know I have a lot of questions and I appreciate any help as I am new to this and want to learn all I can!
fish.jpgfish1.jpgfish2.jpg

fish.jpg fish1.jpg fish2.jpg

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
It's a great hobby, but like anything else it takes time to learn the ins and outs. So ask away! Further, you will find people with differing opinions on what is ok, you need to decide for yourself what you think will be right. I do have to ask, if you understand the term "cycled". This is not merely running the filter for a day without fish. If you do not, I would direct you to the link under my name to understand the basics. Testing your water is very important to your tank!

When you say pleco I assume you mean something like a bristlenose or other fancy variety that stays small if you are truly interested in plecos. The common pleco will quickly outgrow that tank and is really a waste factory. If you are looking for something for algae controll only, look into some ottocinclus, which can be a fun group of fish to have, and are much smaller. Otherwise, monitoring nitrate levels and having a good waterchange practice alone can usually keep algae in check. I have never been a fan of gouramis (just personal preference) so i can't really chime in there. I am not against keeping some of the smaller South american cichlids in a mixed tank like this, but others will disagree. As long as there are safe places for everyone to avoid agression. Blue rams and apistos can rival many salt water fish. I currently have a blue ram with a few neons and some ottos in a 10 gallon, which I don't really think is too much. However neons(such as the black ones you have) do better in a larger tank with a bigger school. One thing to watch out for, is when starting out, you will want a lot of activity. Over time you will realize it can be much more fun to have a few shy fish that require patience of watching to really appreciate their behavior.

I would never advocate getting a baby fish for a too small tank with the intention to set up a proper size tank for it later. Plans can change and the fish can be left to suffer for it. If you want a rainbow shark, wait untill you get a bigger tank. Average size is 6" and while it will "fit" in your tank, it will be more like a prison cell than a home. The best advice I can give is gather as much advice as you can, make some preliminary choices, then do some research of your own before you buy anything.

seachells

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
NC
I do know about testing pH and cycling and nitrates. I have an awesome small business aquarium guy close to where I live, it's just hard to get over there during the work week and he doesn't really email.

Thanks for the information on the plecos, I did not know how big they got as I had not done a lot of research on them yet. I am very much in the idealistic dreamer stage for my aquarium ha!
I was thinking about getting cichlids, but now I am leaning more toward getting a couple boesemani rainbows instead. I am also thinking about getting a couple ghost shrimp since I've heard they have insatiable appetites and are forever scavenging, plus they get along with corys and are really cool in general. Another think I'm a bit obsessed with would be the dwarf/pygmy puffer...any advice on that one?

So, as of right now, this is how I picture my tank: the 3 corys, the 5 tetras, add 2 rainbows, a couple ghost shrimp, and possibly a puffer (though I don't know because I have a lot of research to do on that guy...) Thank you so much for any help!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I have heard of people keeping DPs in a community but i have never had luck with it. they are sneaky and territorial and will take chunks out of fins. They also eat small snails and things like shrimp, so I wouldn't try it with the ghost shrimp. Most places recomend keeping species only, with a group big enough to spread aggression. My best success however was a single puffer in a 10 gallon tank and nothing else, save for Malasian Trumpet Snails. Normally considered an unwanted pest, the snails will breed like crazy if they have a food source, but with very clean water they can be held in check. The puffer will eat these little guys and it's fun to watch them hunt. I have no experience with the rainbows, so hopefully someone can help out there. Good to see someone willing to do the checking before they learn at the cost of fish lives :)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I wouldn't do dps in a community. With the stock you have two more corys and a dwarf pleco would work just time. Also, you could add a few more tetras.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
I do know about testing pH and cycling and nitrates. I have an awesome small business aquarium guy close to where I live, it's just hard to get over there during the work week and he doesn't really email.

Thanks for the information on the plecos, I did not know how big they got as I had not done a lot of research on them yet. I am very much in the idealistic dreamer stage for my aquarium ha!
I was thinking about getting cichlids, but now I am leaning more toward getting a couple boesemani rainbows instead. I am also thinking about getting a couple ghost shrimp since I've heard they have insatiable appetites and are forever scavenging, plus they get along with corys and are really cool in general. Another think I'm a bit obsessed with would be the dwarf/pygmy puffer...any advice on that one?

So, as of right now, this is how I picture my tank: the 3 corys, the 5 tetras, add 2 rainbows, a couple ghost shrimp, and possibly a puffer (though I don't know because I have a lot of research to do on that guy...) Thank you so much for any help!
dp like the others said should be in a species only tank. boesmani ranbows need to be in schools and should be in larger tanks.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
ditch the rainbow shark idea. they need a bigger aquarium and they also get aggressive when they get older. if it was my tank personally i would first up the schools on the cories and tetras. they do better with larger numbers. also unless you have your heart set on a pleco i would look for other options. they give out a lot of waste.

there are plenty of "non salt water non betta" show fish.

seachells

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
NC
Definitely not doing the shark or puffer in this tank. Did more research and will take advice from you guys. Also most likely not doing the pleco. Was thinking of still adding the shrimp, and have to replace a tetra as one did not make it :( If you do not think Rainbows are a good idea, is there anything else you would suggest aside from just making the schools bigger?

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I'd avoid adding any fish that gets larger than a couple inches. I just do not like big fish in small tanks. Rainbows get too large unless you get the really small (and still pretty) ones like Furcata or Paskai.
Most any small tetra or rasbora would be fine in a group of 5 or more.
One or more Honey Gouramis are always a nice addition to a smallish tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store