Out of the Box Fishkeeper

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bikeman48088

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
SE Michigan
www.evolvethebike.com
I used to keep fish back in the late 70's - early 80's. I kept and bred mostly CA Cichlids, but I had an assortment of other fish such as alligator gars, knifefish, puffers.
I just got back into raising fish again in November when a business acquaintance wanted to get rid of his 110 gallon tank set up and I thought "What the heck".
First, I put in four Firemouth juveniles, an algae eater and an albino bristle-nosed pleco followed shortly by 4 juvenile Jack Dempseys. I soon realized that those young fish in a big tank spent most of their time hiding, so I went in search of some dithers. At one of the first LFS', I saw a tank that said "Cobalt Zebras $7.95; Mixed Africans $1 each special". Since all of the juveniles in the tank looked similar, I asked the manager which ones were juvenile Cobalt Zebras. She said that, although she knew, she'd sell me whatever fish I wanted in the tank for $1 each, so I bought all five fish in the tank. I, also bought two more juvenilke JDs that were in the adjacent tank for the same price. My thinking at the time was that the Mbunas would act as dithers and the other fish would come out of hiding.
It worked, they all got along swimmingly (pun intended).
As they began to mature, I thought that I would begin to have real problems, but the only problems I had were intra-species chasing. The JDs didn't bother anyone else, the Firemouths occasionally chased each other, but the Mbunas spent most of their time in pursuit or each other and digging like Bob the Builder.
Now, 9 months later, I have a breeding pair of Cobalt Zebras, three hybrid? Mbunas, 4 colorful FMs, 6 colorful JDs a larger algae eater and an albino pleco living in relative peace.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! You mix may cause you problems down the road...

bikeman48088

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
SE Michigan
www.evolvethebike.com
Welcome to AC! You mix may cause you problems down the road...
Thanks. I'm hoping that, since they were raised together, from juveniles onward, they'd get used to each other. Two of the JDs are ~6" in length and fairly docile. One is a little thicker and he's the tank boss. His imposing size is enough for him to be able to travel the tank freely, even during spawning sessions by the Cobalt Zebras.
I feed them all well and there are plenty of hiding places if they're needed. In fact, I have four Zebra fry 1/2-3/4" that have survived living among the adults in the tank....so far.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Wish you well, but it rarely works, IME.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Im not very experienced with the larger fish, but i'm willing to bet as the JD's get bigger, they will eventually eat the africans. I would say the tank will be crowded too, but I know that 1. people who kept fish arround that time usually find it acceptable and 2. you do need to spread out aggression. So perhaps the larger fish will be happy together. My brother kept JD's when i was really young, and they are definitely a cool fish. Keep us posted, and maybe share a few pics.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
depends on who you ask. Most people would say ph is not an extremely important factor. gh and kh a litle more so, but adaptible. We can browbeat a new member untill they leave, or we can accept their way of operating and open discussions. I for one joined here and left because I was beaten up by the purists. Sure mbunas and SAs wont be a long term sucess, but we can help.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
An eclectic stocking mix to be sure. However, it's a pretty good bet that none of the fish purchased at an lfs or box store is wild-caught. This means they may have been bred and raised in water parameters that aren't within screaming distance of the parameters of their natural waters. A whole lot of people keep mixes of fish that don't occur together naturally...most people, I think. Nothing wrong with your stocking as long as it works, IMO.

Mark

bikeman48088

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
SE Michigan
www.evolvethebike.com
Aren't one a soft water species and the other rock hard water species?
Yes, in nature, but in practice, NO.

depends on who you ask. Most people would say ph is not an extremely important factor. gh and kh a litle more so, but adaptible. We can browbeat a new member untill they leave, or we can accept their way of operating and open discussions. I for one joined here and left because I was beaten up by the purists. Sure mbunas and SAs wont be a long term sucess, but we can help.
I didn't plan on it being a long-term situation, but after 9 months, the Mbuna are breeding, the rest of the fish are active and healthy as well and even my two large Dempseys get along. As long as this is the status quo, I'm not going to change a thing.

An eclectic stocking mix to be sure. However, it's a pretty good bet that none of the fish purchased at an lfs or box store is wild-caught. This means they may have been bred and raised in water parameters that aren't within screaming distance of the parameters of their natural waters. A whole lot of people keep mixes of fish that don't occur together naturally...most people, I think. Nothing wrong with your stocking as long as it works, IMO.

Mark
I agree. People put plecos and algae eaters in just about every tank you can imagine, for example.

Im not very experienced with the larger fish, but i'm willing to bet as the JD's get bigger, they will eventually eat the africans. I would say the tank will be crowded too, but I know that 1. people who kept fish arround that time usually find it acceptable and 2. you do need to spread out aggression. So perhaps the larger fish will be happy together. My brother kept JD's when i was really young, and they are definitely a cool fish. Keep us posted, and maybe share a few pics.
This was taken a few months ago. I'll update the video soon.
[video=youtube;Cf3OkqY31A8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf3OkqY31A8[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store