Opinions? Fluval 306 vs. SunSun HW-402B

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

qquake2k

AC Members
May 3, 2006
Northern California
I would like your opinions. If you had to choose between a Fluval 306 or SunSun HW-402B for a 46 gallon bowfront, which would you prefer? The Fluval is rated at 303gph and has three media baskets, in addition to the large foam frame. The SunSun is rated at 264gph, also has three media baskets, and a UV sterilizer lamp (which I probably wouldn't use). The media for either would be similar: coarse pads, fine pads, Matrix, bio-balls and/or plastic scrubbies, and Purigen.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
they sell the sunsun with out the uv i believe as well. i think the sunsun has less area for media. the real question you need to find is how many gallons per hour with the media. also whats the price difference? personally i am not a fan of the fluval but i havent owned the new ones. i had problems with parts breaking on the other one.

a lot of people use the sunsun. the only down side is it might not last as long as the fluval.

bescher

AC Members
Sep 17, 2014
Nashotah Wisconsin
Real Name
Bob Escher
Although the sunsun is cheaper ( I have had both) and the hoses of the fluval are corrugated I think it would depend on what you wanted them for I have running now(sunsun's) 1 for biological and 1 for bio and chemical. The sunsun can hold more media but the fluval are much easier to take care of and quieter.
if money was no object fluval it would be.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
The issue I have with these type filters is that they both use lid top pumps which use extraction to pull water from the top where its more susceptible to priming problems on restart. Whereas bottom pump filter is designed to use gravity which helps pull dirty water through the filter media where it is cleaned and free of trapped air before reaching the pump and guaranteed submersion for reliable primed restarts. In addition stacked basket type filters inherent in those top pump designes suffer from very low surface area as each basket surface area being stacked in series is only as effective as the basket it sits behind. Lastly top pump filters operate by pumping water in reverse so that filter media has no positive backing within its basket causing the edges of the filter media to lift up and out of the way of the water current allowing most of the dirt to simply bypass the filter media unless the baskets are over packed tight further limiting performance.
IMHO, round surface area canister filters with powerful bottom pumps like the FX5 and its bargain cousin the Odyessea CFS 500. All my top pump filters are on the shelf dry if anyone wants to buy them. The only canisters I now use are bottom pump type with round surface area media already mentioned including the Magnum360 and Magnum 250. I also use 14 gallon tall aquarium sump filters where stacked basket are far more effective since the utilize both downward gravit and water pressure to trap dirt against the filter media supporter by the basket frame, no bypassing.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Oh...I suppose if I had to pick between those two filters, both of which I own but no longer use for 3 years now, I would use the Sunsun since it seems to be more leak proof, quieter operating, easier to clean, and easier to achieve and maintain prime even on startup. But as far as filtration performance, they both are poor performers IMO.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Wow. I'm shocked that there are criticisms of the SunSuns. I just bought a new 525 GPH model for 68 bucks shipped with some bio-balls, ceramic rings and carbon! I bought it because I'm so happy with the 265 GPH model that I got about a year and a half ago. I run it on a way to over-stocked with turtles 29 gallon. It keeps the water crystal clear with coarse and fine pads on either end and the rest filled with super cheap Home Depot lava rock. Every 2 or 3 months I have no problem disconnecting it without a drop of water misplaced and a simple rinse and squeeze of the pads. It's not even worthy of the "chore" title. The UV is actually a feature that I've come to like. I turn it on about a week a month and algae is really kept away. Never had a problem priming it and it is completely silent. For bigger tanks in the future I may use the SunSuns in conjunction with a sump. I just don't see any need to spend so much more for the "big" names in filtration. The only HOBs that I have are ones that came on tanks that I picked up off of Craig's List. I only keep them around as back up in case of a failure and to set up an aquarium quickly if I want fish before a new SunSun would arrive.

saber2th

AC Members
Feb 23, 2015
Harrison Township, MI
I just bought the Sunsun 303B for my 37 gal. it has a flow rate of 370 GPH. Seems like a pretty solid filter with three large media baskets. I like that it has the built in UV light which I will use from time to time. This filter is real quiet and the price is hard to beat.

Agro

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Treviso - Italy
I have fluval 205, clean one or two times of year, no leak no problem.
Is silent but don't suggest keep in bedroom.
I non't like made in china

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
wow this is a hard one, i have both sunsuns and fluvals running, if your tight on money get the sunsun, they do what they are said to do, the down fall is no bell or whistles, the fluval has better media, better pipes, and a more solid and tough construction. the sunsun works but if your not careful you can break parts. the only thing i hate about the fluval is the impeller top plate, they are pron to have the clips break, so be careful if and when you pull it to clean, also make sure you LFS can replace these for you, it would suck to have to pay shipping and go through all the BS to get a $10.00 part
BG

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if you decide on the sun sun I'd recommend a mod to the pick or intake side.. they use cheap sectioned fittings that can draw air and the filter stops due to a break in the siphon. I replaced the sectioned part with spare hose from the feed lines .. now there's no siphon break and the filter is easier to start up or will continue to run during a water change

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store