Can a male and female betta ever cohabitate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
I have a 10-gal heavily planted tank, filtered, heated. I had snails in it but recently moved them to another tank, so I'm just keeping this tank going because of the plants. I decided to get a betta for it so I paid a visit to Petsmart today. I couldn't decide on a male or female, so I bought one of each. I know enough about bettas to know this was a mistake, but I'm gonna ask anyway: Can a male and female get along if there's lots of plants? Or is the female destined to be pestered to death? I won't let that happen and am prepared to put in a divider if I have to, or move one to another tank. Just wondering what others' experiences have been with this?

They are:
Twin tail half moon male betta (light greenish)
Crown tail female betta (pale mauve)

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I have kept them together but they were from the same spawn, brother and sister. This is the only way I know of that it might work.

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
Okay, got the divider in. It wasn't easy, but it's in! They're exploring their new digs, both very interested in what's on the other side, lol. The male's colors have changed since I saw him in the store. I swear he looked aqua at the time. He's really pretty and the girl is cute and perky.

20140819_937_.JPG20140819_940_.JPG

20140819_937_.JPG 20140819_940_.JPG

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I have done this repeatedly in a well planted (Fake Plants) aquascaped ( Flowerpots and Driftwood ) 20L. I don't recommend it unless you have a tank larger than a 10gal. Since you said you don't have experience with Bettas, I would move one ot the other.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
With a divider in the tank, yes they can cohabitate. After breeding them, remove the female after she had layed the eggs or the male will kill her.. In many cases if the female is not ready to breed, the male will chase her and if he catches her, he will kill her. There are some cases where the female will beat up the male. Keeping them in a tank with tons of plantings and hiding places can work, or a divider to avoid any unpleasant interactions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store