A video of my emersed plant setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Hey guys,

Just a quick video I took showing how I grow my emersed plants

[video=youtube;2bK_kfbLN3M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bK_kfbLN3M[/video]

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
I just finished painting the inside of the light fixture with the CFL bulbs in it white. Before I painted it, at 12" from the fixture I was getting 4100 lumens, after I painted it i got 5400 lumens at 12". simply painting the inside of the light fixture gave me a 31.71% increase in light. No extra heat or energy needed. just a coat of white paint ;)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great vid...nice work.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Very nice setup! How did you get started with this: did you have a couple of stems of this plant and take cuttings off them till you had as many as you show here? And how many individual plants are in each pot? Are these full aquatic safe and you are growing them emersed for the speed factor; how badly do they die back and how long do they take to switch over to their underwater forms?

Be sure and post some in the Marketplace here when you are ready to sell, I don't have good luck with other forums like aquabid but have never had any issues buying here. I am working on a paludarium and these would be fabulous in it. :)

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Very nice setup! How did you get started with this: did you have a couple of stems of this plant and take cuttings off them till you had as many as you show here? And how many individual plants are in each pot? Are these full aquatic safe and you are growing them emersed for the speed factor; how badly do they die back and how long do they take to switch over to their underwater forms?

Be sure and post some in the Marketplace here when you are ready to sell, I don't have good luck with other forums like aquabid but have never had any issues buying here. I am working on a paludarium and these would be fabulous in it. :)

I started this emersed setup because I knew it was a desirable plant and grows well emeresed, and knew I had an opportunity to help people get their hands on this relatively rare plant and make some money that I could put back into my hobby. With that in mind I set out to build a setup that would involve zero day to day maintenance, each iteration of the emersed setup has become more and more automated and an ideal environment to grow these plants. I could go on vacation for 3 weeks and not have worry about this setup, it would go on and off and carry on just fine for even longer than that without me having to touch it.

I aquired the stems you see from various sellers on plantedtank.net

Each pot has one mother stem.

Alternanthera reineckii mini is a fully aquatic plant, ive actually found they grow faster submersed where they have access to Co2 injected into the water.

People have a misconception about emersed plants, thats because for the most part, peoples only experience with a plant switching from emersed to submersed is with a plant they got from petco or petsmart. Those are juvenile tissue culture plants that have been on the shelf for weeks under inadequate lighting, and are mostly dead when you get them home anyway, these are the plants that melt back hard and you are lucky if they bounce back at all. An adult, healthy stem that was grown emersed will have little to no problem switching from emersed to submersed. When I setup my 20 Long, I used over 30 stems from my emersed setup. Not a single one of those stems showed even the slightest sign of stress or melting during the transition.

If you are interested in purchasing stems, I almost always have some for sale. Just send me a PM!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store