Importing tanks from abroad

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

j0onahra3

AC Members
Nov 19, 2010
Columbia, MO
This is merely just something I've been curious about.
I know that shipping costs will be paramount and it's probably not worth doing.
But if I were to order tanks in bulk and have them shipped, say, from China, then what are some things I would need to know?
I've heard that there's some custom papers that need to be filled out, but I'm curious as to what for.
What are the legal specifics to getting large tank orders into the U.S.?
Why would it be wise to choose express shipping rather than standard?
Just curious.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I think they are treated as a regular commodity. No legal stuff, just a super amount for shipping.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
you are exactly right for the most part....

But if I were to order tanks in bulk and have them shipped, say, from China, then what are some things I would need to know?
you would need to hire a company to bring them from the ports here in LA to you.

I've heard that there's some custom papers that need to be filled out, but I'm curious as to what for.
because people bring in illegal stuff. they want to know whats in it where it come from where its going.

What are the legal specifics to getting large tank orders into the U.S.?
there more problems that legal. you can import them if you want to.
Why would it be wise to choose express shipping rather than standard?
you thinking like the post office? express? something like this would be freight. you would be ordering a cargo container and go on a boat then on a truck or rail.

i ask you one thing. most tanks are made here..... there is a reason for that. all that dead space. the cheapest option i am thinking about is buying the glass having it shipped to say mexico where labor is cheaper having built there then trucked up to you.

you also have to find companies that wont screw you over. so many people take your money and screw you over. there is nothing you can really do about that.

are you trying to get cheap tank or do a business or what?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
you are exactly right for the most part....

you would need to hire a company to bring them from the ports here in LA to you.

because people bring in illegal stuff. they want to know whats in it where it come from where its going.

there more problems that legal. you can import them if you want to.

you thinking like the post office? express? something like this would be freight. you would be ordering a cargo container and go on a boat then on a truck or rail.

i ask you one thing. most tanks are made here..... there is a reason for that. all that dead space. the cheapest option i am thinking about is buying the glass having it shipped to say mexico where labor is cheaper having built there then trucked up to you.

you also have to find companies that wont screw you over. so many people take your money and screw you over. there is nothing you can really do about that.

are you trying to get cheap tank or do a business or what?
yep some people will just screw you so watch out

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
There can also be a substantial levy or import fee imposed by the US gov't. You would need to contact an approved importer to help negotiate the entire process who will impose their own fee schedule.

As far as bulk purchases, many tank companies will work with you based on order size. Buying used store equipment is a viable option and are available via internet. All depends on how deep your pockets are as to which way to go. Store foreclosure sales are also a valuable source.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store