Trying my hand at the salt again....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
I have a 110, per drilled, with built in filter, but I'm going to have to add a sump, and lighting, as it's missing the other half of the hood. I cleaned it up, and haven't started much else as I've just brought it home tonight.

I need to know, since I'm considering going with corals as well as live rock, what type of lighting I should be looking at, as well as how large of a sump I should add.

I'm going to start looking at my stocking list, so I can figure out what salinity ect that I need to keep it at.

So?

Refresh me, what's the current go to live substrate?
What's the max recommended lighting, and does anyone remember the thread about making your own live rock??? I am thinking since I'd like to get this up and running ASAP, that I'd like to make my own to cut down on weight, and add a lot for minimal investment since I would then only need seeded?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1408591307.529318.jpg

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
Lol, um, Nope!

I also have a 125 I'm going to do as a cichlids, and a 30 gallon long as a small fresh water community ...I still have a 29 g, and 55 and two tens sitting around that I don't have room to put up.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Hello Julie:

Years ago I had a SW tank/reef. I used Natures's Ocean LS, but just enough to cover the bottom. I did not like the look of a bare-bottom tank. I used "un-cured" LR. Bought from this company in Florida (do not remember the name). Came in a crate and smelled like &#@^$!!! I loved it though, had lots of life left after (starfishes, sponges, worms, coraline algae, ect). My husband wanted to move out because it smelled so bad. After it cured, which took about 6 weeks, It was great!!! .

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
I've never used the uncured. I may have to research it!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
When we bought liverock, we bought from http://www.liverocknreef.com/ and we were happy with it all.. plenty of biodiversity.

if you're talking about live sand from a bag you can likely skip that and get plain old sand, if you want live sand go to the store and get some that's actually in saltwater and really live.

and good luck ;)

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
When we bought liverock, we bought from http://www.liverocknreef.com/ and we were happy with it all.. plenty of biodiversity.

if you're talking about live sand from a bag you can likely skip that and get plain old sand, if you want live sand go to the store and get some that's actually in saltwater and really live.

and good luck ;)
Thanks Dougall! I'll check it out. I usually just buy the sand from a local pet store, but ours closed.;(

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Ultra corals and fish in Bartonsville has bahamian reef sand for $38/40lbs and that's pretty cool stuff.

I also have a bunch of aragonite sand I bought from petsmart for fairly cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store