Red Cherries dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kimbog

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
Hi guys,

My RCS have been dying one by one as of late and I need help diagnosing what the cause may be. I have researched online, however I haven't found anything conclusive.

I have them in a 5g hex tank with no fish and there have been and continue to be signs of molting but at least 3 deaths in the last week. I will post parameters tonight when home, but appreciate any initial thoughts.

Thanks

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
What is the tank temperature?

How often, how much and what do you feed them?

How long has this tank been set up? and how did you cycle it initially?

kimbog

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
What is the tank temperature?
Typically ~ 78-80F. There is no heater, just the light as a heat source.

How often, how much and what do you feed them?
I feed them Tetra flake or algae disks every other week.

How long has this tank been set up? and how did you cycle it initially?
I cycled the tank a while ago with enzymes and checked the parameters before putting anything in.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm not sold on the cycling either. especially if the shrimp are the first source of ammonia in the tank.

I'll suggest that a food specifically for shrimp, or something containing calcium would be beneficial too.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you didn't cycle properly originally, you're could be going through the cycle again already, just monitor water parameters (especially nitrogen compounds) and change water where appropriate. Smaller water changes more frequently will stop parameters swinging rapidly as well, but base all WCs on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Live plants will help the cycle be more transparent (Unless they don't grow and start to decay at which point they will be adding to the bioload)

as for food, Repashy shrimp souffle is good, Sera make a shrimp granule, Hikari make Shrimp Cuisine all work well IME.

or you could scour the internet for recipes for DIY food.

ultimately don't over feed. if the shrimp are just hanging out picking at something, they are likely to be eating and won't need supplemental food, if they are dashing about the tank, they are probably scavenging for food and could use a small feeding.

HTH

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Would it help to add water to the 5g from my 20g established tank?
if the 5g tests above 0 for ammonia or nitrite, a filter bag of gravel to seed bacteria is more likely to help than the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store