Anomalochromis thomasi finally coupling!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigJohn

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
This is major development in that 55 gal.

I am thoroughly thrilled by this turn of events. I got 8 them a little more than a year ago. They were about what 1.5 cm. They have been highly social with each other, 3 more dominant ones laid claim to a spot each, but there was never any major altercations in that tank. Occasional tail wag but mostly a very chill environment. To this day.

They grow slow. Very slow. The Congo tetras are just a little longer than the big ones, but the thomasi are bulkier now.

They appear to slowly develop more color on the scales, but this is also painfully slow.

They are pretty easy to startle by any movement so major are pussies in that way.

It does not matter, they are fun to watch and that is the whole point of the thing. The tiger thing is enough for me to enjoy.

One couple seemed to perhaps maybe be forming a bond and I was not sure if they were and that lasted about a month. Then for the next 3 months I was pretty sure they were about to really form a couple but then it did not really happen and then it died down for a while. They were just again the bunch of really mellow cichlids.

Then I rearranged the plants and the bottom of the tank suddenly became a lot denser because of the hygrophili difformia that suddenly popped up. The 3 major territories were not altered but access from the bottom was reconfigured. 4 of them had to move up a bit.

Couple #1 to the right kind of re-formed. Then center male #2 got his whole head black, but did not seem in distress or anything.

Then big male #3 to the left started cleaning a little stone. Then he started vibrating in front of a female who went from male #2 to male #3 for a few days.

Now, after male #1 started vibrating on the right and, male #3 on the left, I have 2 couples. The rest of them are gently squeezed upstairs for now. They may have to go back to the store eventually, but I am not sure. Will see as it goes.

For the moment, I am gonna enjoy this.

013.jpg

013.jpg

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
that's great! I have one of these guys. He is really a personable little fish and fun to watch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store