Suitable fish for newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
Hi, I'm thinking of getting some fish for my 29 gallon tank that's currently stocked with a lone corydoras catfish ( yes I know it's not an ideal situation), a bristlenose which may or may not have a taste for fish slime coats, and six lemon tetras. The tank temperature is around 25 to 26 degrees Celsius. What is a small, hardy fish that could work for my tank and how many should I get that my tank could sustain? Platies may come to your mind or any other common livebearer, but I have had bad experience with them and they always seem to be unhealthy at the store. I would like something like a small tetra or barb, and I would prefer to have my tank not stocked to the limit to allow room for stupid mistakes.

Thanks in advance!

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Do swordtails xD They're pretty docile. They will get kind of aggressive if you don't have enough females though. So like 3:1 ratio would be ideal. As for feeding, flake food is right up their ally if that's what you're feeding right now xD They're pretty good fish I hear. I haven't had the chance to get any, but friends day they are awesome and really pretty to look at :) They are livebearers... but you can always sell the babies.

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
Ok thanks! I am going to the LFS this weekend and seeing if they have some good swordtails. Also my family members seem to like:

- glowlight tetras
-black ruby barbs
-cherry barbs
-silver tipped tetras
-Cuming's barbs

I'm pretty sure my tank can hold at least 5 individuals of one species (right?). Which fish is unsuitable for my tank? They also shouldn't be disturbed by my lemon tetras, which chase each other a lot.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
here educate yourself in what you want and what you can have and sorry if i came out as rude.but here check out this site www.aqadvisor.com sif your a newbie keep levels under 80 percent.but if your not a newbie still keep them under 90%

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Ignore that site..no algorithm will answer your questions on personality... and it varies to tank size and the genetics of the fish...while beginners may seem satisfied with their input... it leaves a lot to be desried in reality.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well i meant use it as a guide line i always add 10 or 20 percent stocking.and it says something on the site like ...this may not apply to you because of your fish temper or something like that.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Silvertips are VERY active fish, so they add a lot of interest. I kept them years ago before my catfish got big enough to pick off everything that fit in its mouth. They are also very hardy. Cherry barbs are pretty cool too. The ones I had were very docile.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
What species of pleco do you have? Many get really large.
I would probably skip the silvertips because they are very active and could stress the lemon tetras, and dominate males may kill each other off if not kept in a large enough group. Most other small tetras or rasboras would be mellower.
If you like your cory, adding a few others of the same type would make him happier and be much more intersting to observe as they school together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store