Is there a black paint that will cover silicone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
Anyone know of a black paint that I could use to cover the whitish silicone streak in the back of my tank? I have the back and side painted black on the outside and now the vertical white silicone strip in the corner stands out like a sore thumb.

Thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
possibly Krylon Fusion...

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I've had a tank done in black silicone, which might be an option if you can't find a paint that would work.

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

Advice I've been given so far is that basically all paint will eventually flake off of the silicone. Also, new silicone will not stick to cured silicone.

My solution...use new black aquarium safe silicone and cover the joint from top to bottom spreading it wide across the joint so that the new black silicone layer spans the old one attaching itself on either side of the joint to fresh glass. The layers of silicone won't fuse but the new black layer will have attachment point on either side of the seam effectively covering the whitish silicone underneath.

tadaaaaa!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
errrmmm..

new silicone will not stick to cured silicone.

It will have a weak bond, at best.. strip the interior and re seal . but form the outside, unless you split the panels a white streak will still appear..

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Yeah one way to restore old tanks that the silicone is bad or damaged is to take the silicone that is inside the tank off the glass. You don't have to remove the stuff between the two pieces of glass, just everything else. Clean the glass surfaces good and apply a new bead of silicone. It's work, especially for something that isn't broken like yours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store