BREAKING DOWN THE QT HOW IS THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN THE TANK, HOB FILTER AND BUBBLER?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok so finally I am breaking down my QT finally restocked my main tank and want to know the best way to clean everything. I remembered someone telling me in the past to use bleach but am not sure how much it's been a while since I had to restock my main tank so I want to make sure I am cleaning my QT and everything else the right way. I remember being told to empty the tank dump the filter sponge and refill with clean water adding the bleach to the water but I don't remember how much to use. I was told to rinse the hob filter with regular water to rinse off any debris and then place it back into the tank and let the bleached water run for through for an hour. Then empty the tank again rinse it out really well and the hob filter too then refill the tank with dechlorinated water and let it run through the filter for an hour I was told that would help to make sure you get the bleach residue out. Then rinse everything again and let everything air dry. Does that sound right if so I just need to know how much bleach to add to the water the QT is a 10 gallon. Thanks advise appreciated.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I don't bother with all that...put a cup of bleach in and let it run for a day....then drain and air dry everything.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Rbishop what about the hob filter I thought after draining the tank of the bleach solution since you're running bleach through the filter by refilling the tank with dechlorinated water and letting it run through the hob filter system you are ridding the bleach residue not only in the tank but in the filter too. Just draining and letting it air dry is enough to get rid of it?

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
For the most part the fish were very healthy. I had to restock 5 schools of fish and most did very well through the QT process. Unfortunately 1 Melanistius corie died the fish store sold me 2 cories that had some kind of fungus on their left pectoral fin. I was not too happy since I didn't notice the fungus until the fish were already in the QT. I was able to successfully treat one of the cories and the other never got it which led me to believe that the fungus was not columnaris. I used a new med by tetra called fungus guard and it worked pretty well. After the treatment I did a big water change and then went ahead with the QT of my other schools of fish and all did well. So this is why I ask since I had only had one slight problem with fungus and no other issues during the QT process with the other fish do I go ahead with using vinegar or bleach. I was instructed on aquaria central once by another member here to use bleach and the process went well I just forgot how much bleach to use and since I never used vinegar was unsure of the amount to use.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store