Missing Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
Hello everyone!

Apparently one of my fish, a sleeper banded goby, has gone MIA! I've heard of gobies jumping out of tanks, but no evidence of a suicide. I have even looked under some rocks to no avail. Has anyone had this happened before, a fish totally disappear? I assume the guy died and maybe the CUC got to him or he burrowed in the sand and died? I am concerned about the rest of fish. I have been having a bubble algae outbreak (not sure if the two are related so I increased the size of my CUC)? I haven't checked ammonia or nitrite, is it worth checking if nitrate is reading 20ppm? I am sure the nitrate level isn't helping the algae problem so I plan to a major water change this week. The tanks been running for about 6-7 months.

Here are my parameters:

Tank size: 30gal
SG: 1.026
temp: 78 deg
PH: 8.1
Nitrate: 20ppm
Phosphate: 0

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
Did he crop up? Fish don't just disappear and not leave a trace. If something ate him there would be at least a little left. Try checking the tank out at night. He might be shy. Fish can cram into the smallest holes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
Haven't seen him since. Agreed, I have never had a fish simply disappear completely. It must have burrowed and died. It would be a major effort to start sifting sand and removing all the rock to go looking for it.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
When did you last see it? I have had smallish fish "disappear" during a 2-3 period. Either decomposed or scavenged by other fish I presume.

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
Last seen 2 weeks ago. Pretty sure the CUC and maybe the wrasse got to the body. I had a pH drop and a nitrate spike.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Do you plan on upgrading to something more appropriate for the hippo tang?

Lacking something else that would eat it, most likely the fish died and was consumed. That's consistent with a nitrate spike. How often and how much water do you change?

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
Probably swap out the tang for another juvenile down the road...I've had a couple of them over the years so I am pretty good at keeping them. The Hippo is an awesome fish to have!

I do a 20% water change at least once per month, sometimes bi-weekly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store