20 gallon newbie Gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gello

AC Members
Aug 25, 2014
Hello! I'm new to the forum and to keeping tropical fresh water fish. I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 Tiger Barbs, 1 male and 2 female Neon Swordtails and 1 male and 2 female Orange Creamsicle Mollies.

My male Mollie is an obsessive mater so I will probably purchase 1 more female but I don't want to get many more as I don't want to over crowd.

I have a Aqueon QuietFlow 30 (figured bigger is better/cleaner).

I have a bubbler strip that is about 10 inches long along the back and the Swords LOVE it. The swim up and down it all day.

I have artificial plants, but I have two bushy and tall ones on each side of the tank, one bushy medium tall one in the middle and two square ground cover plants next to the tall ones on the sides. I left an area in the front for the fish to have free space. I also took apart one tall bushy plant and let it float. It grouped together and looks like a little, flat floating bush.

My heater is small, submergible and not adjustable but keeps the water temp at a stable 78 degrees so I think that is good.

I have black, white and pink gravel mixed with some random marbles mixed in.

One of my female Mollies is about to have her babies and I'm not sure how to handle it. One of my female Swords gave birth 2 nights ago and it appears that all the babies were eaten. I thought that the between all the different styles/heights of plants they babies (at least some) would have places to hide. Maybe 1 or 2 will show up (probably not with my luck).

So should I put my female in a breeder net with a few of the floating plants? (I bought one last night but haven't set it up) Or hope the babies make it to cover...

Anyway, HI everyone! I love my fishies! I stare at my tank for hours a night. They make me happy, calm, content, excited, intrigued.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store