Question about Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gello

AC Members
Aug 25, 2014
Hello! I'm new to the forum and to keeping tropical fresh water fish. I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 Tiger Barbs, 1 male and 2 female Neon Swordtails and 1 male and 2 female Orange Creamsicle Mollies.

My male Mollie is an obsessive mater so I will probably purchase 1 more female but I don't want to get many more as I don't want to over crowd.

I cant remember the name of my filter (have the box at home) but its a 30 gallon filter (figured bigger is better/cleaner).

I have a bubbler strip that is about 10 inches long along the back and the Swords LOVE it. The swim up and down it all day.

I have artificial plants, but I have two bushy and tall ones on each side of the tank, one bushy medium tall one in the middle and two square ground cover plants next to the tall ones on the sides. I left an area in the front for the fish to have free space. I also took apart one tall bushy plant and let it float. It grouped together and looks like a little, flat floating bush.

My heater is small, submergible and not adjustable but keeps the water temp at a stable 78 degrees so I think that is good.

I have black, white and pink gravel mixed with some random marbles mixed in.

One of my female Mollies is about to have her babies and I'm not sure how to handle it. One of my female Swords gave birth 2 nights ago and it appears that all the babies were eaten. I thought that the between all the different styles/heights of plants they babies (at least some) would have places to hide. Maybe 1 or 2 will show up (probably not with my luck).

So should I put my female in a breeder net with a few of the floating plants? (I bought one last night but haven't set it up) Or hope the babies make it to cover...

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
A breeder net, properly installed, will increase the survivability of fry. The other side of that coin is; do you plan to raise the fry and keep them? Livebearers can quickly over-populate a 20 gallon aquarium. This will inevitably lead to more tanks...

Muahahahaha

:evil_lol:

Mark

Gello

AC Members
Aug 25, 2014
I want to keep a few of the fry. But my LFS also accepts them. Maybe they will give me credit, but either way I don't care. I guess I also really am all for natural selection. Is it cruel to let them be and have an attitude of survival of the fittest?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I want to keep a few of the fry. But my LFS also accepts them. Maybe they will give me credit, but either way I don't care. I guess I also really am all for natural selection. Is it cruel to let them be and have an attitude of survival of the fittest?
In my opinion, no.

Mark

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would expect your LFS would take them once they were of salable size... so you'd need to house them until they grew to that size..

It doesn't normally make a good financial choice

Gello

AC Members
Aug 25, 2014
I think I may just take back the breeder net and go with survival of the fastest, sneakiest LOL! Then if I get to many take some to the LFS. Swords and Mollies are so canablistic that I don't forsee many making it. Just lots of high protein snacks for the tank :lol2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store