Whats the deal with water changes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gello

AC Members
Aug 25, 2014
I am new to the tropical fish hobby. I love it! But I have no clue what's up with water changes. Don't flame me! I used to keep 2 goldfish in a 10gal. They liked it "dirty" so I only cleaned/water changed when it turned really green. They were carnival fish that were 3/4 inch when won by my daughter. Those fish lived 5 years and grew to be about 5 inches apiece. I took them to the LFS when we had to move and I realized that my tank was getting to small for them.

Anyway, back to the question. Why/how/how often, should one do water changes? It seems like it would mess up the water levels to constantly change the water. Again don't flame me I'm honestly curious and want to learn/have healthy fish.

ps. I have a 20 gallon with 9 fish. 3 mollies, 3 sword tail, 3 tiger barb

Thanks in advance!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Because we said so,
Bigger,
More often.

but seriously, by the process of living, your fish will produce waste, this will be processed by beneficial bacteria in your tank but ultimately needs to be removed so your fish aren't living in it; thus changing part of the water.

more frequent changes, of larger volume, will keep the water in your tank close to the water coming from your tap... so it's more constant and stable, and in case of emergency will be less of a shock to your fish if you have to change the majority of your water (say a whole carton of food is dumped in the tank)

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Because we said so,
Bigger,
More often.

but seriously, by the process of living, your fish will produce waste, this will be processed by beneficial bacteria in your tank but ultimately needs to be removed so your fish aren't living in it; thus changing part of the water.

more frequent changes, of larger volume, will keep the water in your tank close to the water coming from your tap... so it's more constant and stable, and in case of emergency will be less of a shock to your fish if you have to change the majority of your water (say a whole carton of food is dumped in the tank)
:thm:

Mark

Gello

AC Members
Aug 25, 2014
Because we said so,
Bigger,
More often.

Ok, Fair! I also get the fresh water comment!

So daily is just not an option for me (busy working mom blah blah) So how often is acceptable? Once a week? Half the tank? 1/3?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
With the stocking you have and size of your tank, I'd do around 50% of the volume a week. Remember, it's not necessary, barring a major catastrophe, to remove all the tank contents to do a partial water change. Don't laugh, I know people who thought they needed to do this. You simply syphon off about half of the tank volume while simultaneously vacuuming the mulm and debris out of the substrate. You can purchase a syphon hose (or python) with a flared plastic tube on the end for substrate cleaning. After removing the old water, replace it with new water along with dechlorinator (if needed).

Mark

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I personally aim for weekly 50% changes.

things that will affect this would be stocking level (seems like you're not heavily stocked right now) and anything in the tank that would affect chemistry (reactive substrate, rocks, live plants that sort of thing)

you can get a decent guide by testing water, if you test and detect ammonia or nitrite then change as much water as you can as soon as you can. and try to keep nitrate below 20ppm (Note testing water out of the tap will be helpful, just in case there's a reading there, if there's 10ppm nitrate out of the tap, you won't get below 10ppm in your tank by water changes alone) changing half the water will halve the readings in most cases.

but... test water often and change water out of necessity or through routine. a water change is the simplest and easiest thing you can do for the health of your tank.

Gello

AC Members
Aug 25, 2014
Thanks everyone!

What do you think of my setup?

I have a Aqueon QuietFlow 30 (figured bigger is better/cleaner).

I have a bubbler strip that is about 10 inches long along the back and the Swords LOVE it. The swim up and down it all day.

I have artificial plants, but I have two bushy and tall ones on each side of the tank, one bushy medium tall one in the middle and two square ground cover plants next to the tall ones on the sides. I left an area in the front for the fish to have free space. I also took apart one tall bushy plant and let it float. It grouped together and looks like a little, flat floating bush.

My heater is small, submergible and not adjustable but keeps the water temp at a stable 78 degrees so I think that is good.

My lighting is an LED with white (daylight) and blue (moon light) options

I have black, white and pink gravel mixed with some random marbles mixed in.

My stock: 9 fish. 3 mollies, 3 sword tail, 3 tiger barb

Is there room for more fish as I have babies otw.

Last edited:

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
As for water changes, what has been said is great advice for someone starting out. I would recommend however, getting at the very least a nitrate test kit. (or even better a master test kit they are about $30 and will last years) The main thing to test for will be nitrates. You can click on the link in my signature under cycling to better understand how fish waste is processed. If you allow a huge nitrate build up, then do massive water changes, it could be harmful to the fish. Testing your water quality will give you a better idea of how often and how much needs to be done.

As for the tank, I'm not a big fan of the colorful stuff, but with these fish I bet it looks fun :) Non adjustable heaters are ok, but adjustable ones are better. For example, treating Ich is much more effective with the heater turned up a bit. Also if you have a cold snap, you can cheat it up a little to account for the house being colder than usual.

I would look into something for the bottom part of your tank. Ottocinclus, or corries, something like that. Nothing that gets too big.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store