HELP Nirite Spike

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
I have a 29 gallon tank with 3 cory catfish and 7 amano shrimp, it's fairly new but has been cycled and let sit for a few days with Dr. Tims One and Only. I had 2 corys die today and yesterday. The first I believed to be sick as my reading were all 0. But today the other died, so I tested the water and I have over 1-2 ppm nitrites. What do I do? I don't want these fish to die. On another note, shrimp are more sensitive to water parameters, yet they show no signs of stress (scavenging, eating, swimming occasionaly to a rock, etc.). Neither does my remaining cory, although he will not dig in the sand.

Please respond with any info

Thanks for any help

Aidan

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
First, if you have 0 for all levels, your tank is not cycled. Please read the cycling article linked below for a better idea of what that means.
Second, true shrimp are generally more sensitive, but in a newish setup with store bought fish, theres always a chance the fish already had a comprimised immune system.
Third, sorry about your fish. After you read up on cycling, test everything again, post the numbers. I would consider a partial WC for now to get the numbers down a bit.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
wait, when you said sit a few days with Dr tims, do you mean without fish? Any time you use those products you need to have fish in there at the same time. Otherwise the bacteria have no food source and die off. (Ive not used them in a long time and don't recall if DR tims was a good one or not.)

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
Thanks for the help. I am knowledgable on the Nitrogen Cycle and Cycling my tank, but I read the article also.

I have over 10 nitrates but the rest were 0 yesterday, sorry for not being clear.

On the bottle it said to wait for a day before adding fish, so the bacteria could distribute. I did so and added the fish after about a day + 1/2.

Lastly I'm doing a water change, but I tested the water again -- .25 ammonia...; 1 Nirtite; 7 Ph; 76 Temp
Should I move the fish to new chlorinated water, or hope that they make it through? The Corys now seem active (swimming a ton, and digging a little, but one looks like he's breathing really fast -[I think because of Nitrites/ammonia]) Shrimp still same, nothing wrong with them...

Thanks again

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
i can't think of a good time to ever move fish to chlorinated water.

i have only relied on partial water changes to address water issues during cycling. sometimes daily

nitrates aren't going to kill the fish

also cycling is weeks, not days

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store