Oscar help... (pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
I was browsing in my local "Petboxstore" and saw they had accepted a large oscar (13 inches) for re-homing. I know the manager there and she told me it had been there for two weeks, and they would probably have to euthanize it, because no one would adopt it. After looking closer, I could see that it had HITH, not a severe case but definitely HITH. As it happens I had a 100 gallon up and running with a large piece of driftwood soaking, getting ready to put together another planted tank. So now I have a large oscar. I've been doing large water changes (50% or better) daily, and the HITH seems to be getting better. The holes appear to be closing up. The problem here is that the Oscar will not eat anything but beef heart cubes, or live fish. I have lots of mollies in my planted tank that I've been sacrificing to the "snack time"gods, but I really have no clue how to get this oscar interested in pellets...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
That's a nice fish. It's awesome that you saved it. I've always wanted a oscar but never had a big enough tank. It probably has never been feed pellets that's why it won't eat them. Maybe over time it well accept them.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Awesome job. I'm not a huge fan of oscars, but that one is very cool looking, great markings. I would wait untill you get the HITH cured to worry about it too much. I would think any uneaten pellets would just cause problems with water quality (despite the 50% daily WC it's just one more thing to deal with) After it's cured and the fish is healthy, it could go days without food, then when it's hungry enough it will likely eat the pellets. Might even try hiding a few pellets in the beef to get it used to the taste?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i would use the old euthnise the molly in cold water death in about 5-10 seconds than stuff the molly full of pellets.though that would be messy and cruel but i would pound up the pellets then pour it in the molly's mouth.and then after a week or so pour a bit of water over a lot of pellets so it looks like a molly then let it dry.after that throw it in but some how make it move like a live fish.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
.... That's the strangest most involved method of feeding iv ever heard. To op, I'm in the same situation ( large new oscar w. Hith and not eating) iv been advised on mfk that oscars are drama queens and often will go on a hunger strike when going into a new tank. They can also go a month no problem at that size w.o eating. Cure hith, wait him out, get him on standard pellets

Edit: sorry not sure how big urs is from pics mine is full grown. Even a smaller oscar 9" or so should be fine fasting for long periods
Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
.... That's the strangest most involved method of feeding iv ever heard. To op, I'm in the same situation ( large new oscar w. Hith and not eating) iv been advised on mfk that oscars are drama queens and often will go on a hunger strike when going into a new tank. They can also go a month no problem at that size w.o eating. Cure hith, wait him out, get him on standard pellets

Edit: sorry not sure how big urs is from pics mine is full grown. Even a smaller oscar 9" or so should be fine fasting for long periods
Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
i know but if you become desperate that will work i think..i just guess cuz i have never done it but i think it will work.
and also that thing on his jaw it sorta looks like a big pimple....

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
i would use the old euthnise the molly in cold water death in about 5-10 seconds than stuff the molly full of pellets.though that would be messy and cruel but i would pound up the pellets then pour it in the molly's mouth.and then after a week or so pour a bit of water over a lot of pellets so it looks like a molly then let it dry.after that throw it in but some how make it move like a live fish.
Such crap..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
i know but if you become desperate that will work i think..i just guess cuz i have never done it but i think it will work.
and also that thing on his jaw it sorta looks like a big pimple....

Key experience being spoken..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store