qt tank emptying?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i am gonna get a lot of fish and my qt tank is very dirty and was thinking about emptying out my 10 gallon qt tank and filling it up with water from the main tank but i will also change the gravel out.will the fish be okay if i take out all the gravel and empty the tanks water and then fill it up with the main tanks water?just so everyone knows i will NOT mess with the filter i NEVER mess with filters unless i am doing a 10 gallon water change the normal water change amount.we may be getting about a dozen or more fish over the weekend so please reply...

dalto

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
I don't think transferring the water from the main tank is going to do much unless you are thinking it will make the transition into the tank smoother in the future?

My bigger concern is that unless there have been fish or some other bioload in your tank than it will probably not be cycled anymore.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well it did have 10 fish in it 3 black neons and 6 neons and and a betta? in it could the good bac have died because i have not had any fish in it for a while?

dalto

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
It depends what "a while" is. If a while is a few hours than no, if we are talking about a few weeks then yes.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
aww man!...it was a few weeks wait could i add a few fish a day 1 or 2 could that make it better?and then the good bac comes back?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
but it did have a shrimp in it until a few days ago not that it makes much of a bioload though...:(

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
both of my main tanks are not anywhere empty but i had an idea what if i took some gravel from the 2 main tanks that must have some good bac right?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
yes, well not in the qt yet but in the month i will get over a dozen fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store