Nitrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gello

AC Members
Aug 25, 2014
Did a tank reading. The results:

Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Alkalinity 120
PH 7.2

20 gallon 1 week old tank

So I think my levels look good except the Nitrate. Why would it be up if all else is good?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What does your tap water read for it?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Dip strips?... don't use them.. get a liquid kit...

Gello

AC Members
Aug 25, 2014
Tap water reading

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Alkalinity 180
PH 8.4

Side note. 1 fish died some time today. Removed it about 2 hrs ago. Died because it got picked on when giving birth and got a sore that didn't get better.
All 8 other fish seem relaxed and healthy.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Nitrate is the fully oxidized much less toxic end result of the nitrogen 'cycle' that is spoken of when it said that a tank is cycled. It is not a big problem at 10ppm or even 20, but lower means cleaner water and that would be better for your fish. Planted tank guys with higher light would be dosing enough nitrate for 10 ppm or so at a time, and with previous amounts that might be unused the total in the tank may be between 10-20 without issue for fish.

So in short it isn't a big problem, just don't let it get away from you by not doing regular water changes.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
where is the ammonia measurement? in a tank that young, that's going to be your biggest worry.

Gello

AC Members
Aug 25, 2014
An update
My tank cycled quickly because I had all used rocks, a used bubble strip, one used rock ornament and about 1/2 gallon of used water when I set it up. It was a friend's tank for years and they got tired of it. It had a kissing gourami in it that I rehomed.

I bought the API master test kit. Water parameters at 1pm were:
Nitrates 15
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
PH 7.4
Temp 79 F.

So today my 6 swordtails were happy, swimming and eating. By 7pm my 2 female red velvet tuxedo swords were dead. One started doing erratic swimming and back flipping. The other laid on the bottom and died.
I quickly did a 25% water change, added stress coat water conditioner and bio boost. The remaining 4 seem ok. But idk what happened! ?!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store