planted tank help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
20140827_230751.jpgHi everyone just joined hoping I could get some helping advice. I am wanting to get my tank planted and I have no clue what I am doing. Right now I have a 37 gal tank with 2 angels 3 rams 6 cats 1 rubber lip 6 danios 2 gouramis. I have a water heater a bubbler a canister filter and two t8 lights. I do have a co2 pump but I ran out and no stores around have it. I just ordered more driftwood and plants but before I put in to much work id like to know what I am doing. Any info will help thanks

20140827_230751.jpg

Last edited:

Sierra0103

AC Members
Feb 8, 2014
St. Louis Missoru
www.instagram.com
Real Name
Alex
Camera Used
Nikon D3100
I am no exepert on planted tanks. But for me i learned by trial and error.
What kind of plants did you order?
The co2 pump... hmmm not much i can do to help there... I have always used liquid co2 By Api i only used it for about 2 weeks then my plants took off.
What is your substrate.. i do not believe that it matters but i started out with a fertalized gravel then once i was comfortable with my plants progress i switched over to sand. Thats just my personal experince.
I suggest you try to get a hold of what i think is a great member who has helped me a lot. Look for Byron amazonia or something like that. Ill double check that but he would be the most help in my opion

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
yes I have swords and anubias. I had a few more swords but they died when I moved cross country. my bulbs are both 15 watt. I do not have a substrate (not sure what that it) just a lot of gravel. my swords were doing great but they are melting away ever since the co2 ran out.

this tank started out as a turtle tank until he got to big and I had to find him a new home. all of this is new to me but I fell in love with it and want to make it a hobby

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I would say that the swords are not prospering due to lack of light, you are looking at less than one watt per gallon which is fine for the Anubias but not for the swords. BTW substrate is the covering on the bottom of your tank so your substrate would be gravel. Try to bump up your wattage a bit a see if that helps with the growth of your swords but be aware bumping up lighting may cause some algae growth but you can easily combat it if you watch and don't let it get a good foot hold.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
FWIW if you need to run CO2 there is a great article on a DIY setup on here (articles section). Basically, an empty 2 litre bottle, filled with 1/4 teaspoon yeast 1 cup sugar a spoonful of tomato paste OR orange juice then fill halfway with warm water. Drill a hole in the cap to fit an air hose tightly into (only push it in about an inch or so), and run the hose to your difuser. Not the most accurate method, but it works. I've used it for years in the past, and just set up another one after a hiatus on fishkeeping. At the very least it will do until you can get your bottle refilled. Lasts about 2-3 weeks for me.

planted_tank

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
I am looking into the diy co2. can I use a co2 tank used for paintball from Walmart? And what would be a good way to control algae I had it one time before and used a chemical to remove it but it did kill plants and all but one shrimp.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Best way I've found to combat algae is an algae scrubber, and scrub the sides of the tank every water change. A new soft toothbrush will work on your decorations.

I'm new to keeping live plants too, but I have LEDs on most of my tanks, and my swords are doing fine. Annubias is pretty easy to keep going, and hygrophila is another easy plant. I have the stock fluorescent light on my 25g, and everything is doing great in there - the swords have actually sent out runners with new plants. I leave the light on pretty much all day (not recommended), but it's so heavily planted that I'm pretty sure the plants out compete the algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store