Nitrite False Reading?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
Hello,

I recently had and am still having a Nitrite spike (>1ppm) (Using API Master Test Kit Freshwater - 1 year old). My tank is not fully cycled and has 2 corys and 6 amano shrimp inside. I should have let the tank cycle properly, but I was impatient... :(. I went to my local Petco, and I asked to have my water tested just to be sure. They used test strips and said my water was great. I then asked to see the readings, and they were <.25 ammonia <.25 nitrites 5 Nitrates. I found this odd, so I tested again and got <.25 ammonia, >1ppm Nitrites, 5 Nitrates. Is my kit wrong or is their test wrong? I can't be certain without buying a whole new kit, which I don't want to do. My shrimp behave normal, always active and scavenging, while my 1 albino cory is active and digging, but the pepper cory is not moving as much. I have put a bubbler in the tank to help with breathing. Any opinions or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

dalto

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
I cannot say if your test is accurate or not but those paper strips are not usually very accurate.

Do you have a real fish store in your area who could do a test for you?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you get your water tested at Petco/smart when you own an API MTK? Are you showing nitrates in this tank? You say it's not cycled, so it's likely your ammonia and nitrite are going to be all over the place.

I'd take the corys back if your water params are not 0,0,<20. Corys typically need excellent water params. If you want to continue a fish-in cycle, I'd use some zebra danios, measure water params daily and do every other day BIG water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store