What tetra would work best with my stock.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sierra0103

AC Members
Feb 8, 2014
St. Louis Missoru
www.instagram.com
Real Name
Alex
Camera Used
Nikon D3100
I have a 29 gallon tank that I want to have a pair or trio of GBR's
I want 5 or so hatchet fish for the top. A BN
And some kind of tetra 10+
I either want Neon's, Rummy Nose's, Ember or, Bleeding heart Tetras. Idk which one to choose from?
Any ideas? Would prefer to lean away from neons since I always choose them as my schooling tetras.. would like to branch out some.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd go with cardinals or rummies, they like the higher temps the rams do. I'm not sure of hatchet temps but they are often jumpers. Bleeding hearts get kinda big for a 29g. No idea on embers, they look too much like serpaes for me to ever trust them, small though they are.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
If you want Rams, go with Cardinals.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Embers are not like serpaes. Different body shape and behavior. Embers also max out at less than an inch. They would be ok I think with GBR. I base that on the fact that I've had guppies with the rams before and the guppy fry grew out in the tank with the ram.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I've had embers. They are nice fish, but very skittish. Rummynoses are by far my favorite of your options. Love that bright red nose and awesome schooling behavior. Cardinals are pretty too, especially if your tank is heavily planted, but personally I like the rummys better.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
embers are awesome they are NOTHING like serpays for one they do max out under an inch like he said so you could have a big school 20 maybe?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
As cliché as they are, neons are really pretty. If you don't want those, I would say blacks or cards. They get a tad bigger.The blacks will look nice and not detract from the colors of the rams. any thoughts on something other than the BN? corries or ottos? I think the BN would be ok, but the smaller bottom dwellers would be less bioload. I think on another post your tank size was in question.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
As cliché as they are, neons are really pretty. If you don't want those, I would say blacks or cards. They get a tad bigger.The blacks will look nice and not detract from the colors of the rams. any thoughts on something other than the BN? corries or ottos? I think the BN would be ok, but the smaller bottom dwellers would be less bioload. I think on another post your tank size was in question.
well since i am going to have a bn pleco in a 20 gallon myself do you think i made a mistake?

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Neons seem to be the "go to" fish because they are so easy to find. Me, yeah I like them, but it seems like I have to buy several dozen just to get a few to survive. That really bothers me. I found black neons are a lot more hardy, but their colors are more subdued. This works well for me, tho, and I find them to be as much fun as their more colorful counterparts.

I've never kept the other species you mentioned, and personally prefer the look of bloodfins over rummynoses. I recently found silvertip tetras available locally, which are my personal favorite. However, they rival my current GloDanios in hyperactivity, and they are potentially nippy. Just tossing that out, as it seems you want mild mannered tetras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store