Petco Arc 6.25g tank - Anyone else have one of these?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
About a month ago, my sister decided to buy 3 feeder goldfish with the intention of putting them in the same tank as my larger tropicals - despite knowing full well that this is a really BAD idea. Before leaving the store, I told her the goldfish can't go in the same tank as my fish, and they'd need their own large tank - which she doesn't want to buy. She still bought the goldfish.

She ended up getting a Petco Preferred brand Arc 6.25g desktop, which has its own built in filter media compartment, a separate sponge compartment, and a third compartment for the mini water pump which circulates the water around the tank. (Same "hidden filter" design as a lot of popular nano tanks, including the Petco Cubic 3.7g, which I have a couple of.) The problem I'm having with this tank is that the pump seems to empty the filter compartments faster than the water can refill them - especially the pump compartment so the pump is barely submerged.

Does anyone else have this tank? If so, have you had any problems with it?

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
There is very little floor space and therefore like putting these fish in a coffee cup. These tanks work only semi-well for shrimp and snails but nothing else. As always the, "Pet WhatEver," stores market to people who don't know any better. These tanks should not be sold PERIOD!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks henningc. Gotta remember that coffee cup comparison - it's a little easier to get the point across. Believe me, I explained the requirement for a Proper Tank, but the main sticking point was "Where am I going to put it?" This particular tank is ok for stuff that doesn't need much room - plants, inverts, maybe a betta - things with a very minimal bio load...

Regardless, the tank itself forced the issue in the wee hours this morning by overflowing due to the pump emptying its chamber and overflowing the main tank. The filter media clogs rather quickly, causing insufficient water flow back into the pump chamber. Apparently this has happened before - and gone unnoticed by the look of the water damage.

djsimmons

Registered Member
Sep 24, 2014
that's a bummer!
if you still have the tank and no longer want it, I would be more than willing to pay you for it and pay for shipping to Sacramento. I really dig those tanks as micro freshwater planted red cherry shrimp setups and would really love to have it. I currently have the 3.7 (and have had no overflow issues) and would love to give my 4 RCS some extra space and extra company :D

AKHLK

Registered Member
Nov 10, 2014
djsimmons, where do you find replacement filter cartridges for your 3.7? I purchased this same tank about 3 months ago and only once since then has Petco had the filters in stock. There were three on the shelf, one was broken, and I purchased the other two. They haven't had them in stock again, and they don't seem to have them online. Do you know of any good substitutes?

Voodooudo

Registered Member
Jan 29, 2015
Petco ARCC 6.25G

The fiber/charcoal filter cartridge clogs rather quickly, especially if you overfeed you fish and have excess food particles for it to filter out. It is however very efficient at keeping the tank cleaner and for longer than any fresh water tank I have owned. I have maintained 5 very happy fish in this tank for some time now.

The filters: they are hard to come by and I discovered early on how to deal with the problem described in the various post. Do not fill the tank to the top. When the filter does clog, the filter chambers will pump out to the tank down to the level of the pump inlet before it stops. If you allow for this in the tank water level you will never have a flooding problem. It is somewhere around 3/4-1" from the top of the glass. It should not matter as to how much stuff you have in the tank as the displacement will be the same.

The fiber/charcoal filters themselves are a bit of a problem, they do an excellent job at filtering with a dense mesh (white), which can clog rather quickly IMO. As they are not what I would consider cheap, and sometimes not available, you can reuse them for some time, at least I do. The trick is cleaning them without destroying them. I found that the garden hose with a standard spray nozzle does the trick just fine (kitchen sink spray nozzle will not work sufficiently). Do not open it up in a stream or you will destroy it, but lightly squeeze the trigger for a stinging like spray and wash across the mesh till it is white again, flip it over and do the same with the charcoal side. This works for the other components as well. The charcoal may eventually become inert, but not for some time.

Hope this helps, enjoy you now economically feasible tank.
:flamed:

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
About a month ago, my sister decided to buy 3 feeder goldfish with the intention of putting them in the same tank as my larger tropicals - despite knowing full well that this is a really BAD idea. Before leaving the store, I told her the goldfish can't go in the same tank as my fish, and they'd need their own large tank - which she doesn't want to buy. She still bought the goldfish.

She ended up getting a Petco Preferred brand Arc 6.25g desktop, which has its own built in filter media compartment, a separate sponge compartment, and a third compartment for the mini water pump which circulates the water around the tank. (Same "hidden filter" design as a lot of popular nano tanks, including the Petco Cubic 3.7g, which I have a couple of.) The problem I'm having with this tank is that the pump seems to empty the filter compartments faster than the water can refill them - especially the pump compartment so the pump is barely submerged.

Does anyone else have this tank? If so, have you had any problems with it?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store