need help with my tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
my yellow tang is breathing rapidly. is this normal for these guys? he hides alot... all parameters are fine though, did a 13 gallon watter change today, dont know what else to do...HELP!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
im assumeing that its some sort of diesease, are there any all purpose meds that can safely go in my main tank? i have no corals

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No, it's not normal. Yellow tangs are usually very bold, so if yours is hiding, I'd suspect something is wrong. Could be unhappy (what size tank is this?), or it could be a parasite. Look for small black or white raised bumps onthe fish.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
its a 75 gallon. hes not very big either. my lfs duped me into buying a bi colored angel, to get the tang to come out of hiding. i know its probably stupid, but i figured id have a better chance of spotting a disease on two fish. but now, they both hide..., there is a little discoloration on the tangs dorsal fin. other than that, nothing.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If it's velvet, you'll need to treat. Not sure if the Kent RxP is good against velvet--should be, as it's a skin parasite similar to ich. If you can remove the fish for treatment, there are several medications that will be effective, but many of them shouldn't be used in your main tank.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
thanx orion girl, im going to call my lfs when he opens this morning, and bring in my fish(he offered to treat them in one of his spare tanks if something went wrong) i dont see any signs of it on the angel, but im sure it will progress. basically all my fish have had similar signs though, the tang has a brownish spot, and heavy breathing, the first clowns that i had always had heavy breathing, then there mouth wouldnt close. the firefish goby did have white spots though.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
where would i find out if kent rxp can be used to treat marine velvet? i went to there website, but nothing there said what it was for.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That's why I'm not sure--I can't find anything that specifies if it is effective against the velvet parasite. Since it is a parasite, it should work, but I can't confirm that.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
i think im gonna give it a shot, and see how it goes. im gonna take out my brittle star, and let my lfs take him till the treatment is done though i think

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store