Breeding Suggestions for a 20 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sinibotia

AC Members
Aug 31, 2014
Hello everyone! New to the site but not to the hobby; I just turned 20 yesterday but I've been keeping fish since I was 9! Anyway, I'm finally in a room off-campus while attending university and so I've been able to set up two 20-gallon fish tanks in my room. It's been a little while since I did any serious fishkeeping, and I'm excited to get back into it. I wanted to get input and suggestions for my intended plans for the tanks; I'd like to use one tank as a species breeding tank and the other as a growout tank. I'm in an area where there's no lfs at all, just big box stores, and the nearest one is 30 minutes away. So I could probably sell at least some of the fish I breed to local fishkeepers and university students, especially with the connections I have as a marine science/aquaculture major.

First of all, what species should I breed? I've been tossing around ideas like BN plecos, rams, apistos, kribs, shelldwellers and cories. The problem is the water around here is pretty hard and basic, which lends itself well to kribs and shellies but not to the other species. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? I'm just not sure it's worth the fuss to adust the water, especially if I want to sell fish to people in the area who might not bother.

Next is the issue of substrate. I used to be a firm believer in using pea gravel, but lately I've been hearing it can be harmful and abrassive. But I recall reading, at least in a lot of initial aquarium research, that sand is no good in aquariums; that it tends to accumulate waste and is difficult to clean. I'd rather not go barebottom as I don't have the option of a seperate display tank. What do you all prefer for substrate?

I appreciate any thoughts and expertise, and I hope to continue to be a part of the community as I come back into the hobby!

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
I would go with dwarf cichlids as it is cool watching them care for the fry.
The Ph shouldn't matter that much. But Shell Dwellers would be good with your water. Good gravel would just be the natural rounded gravel

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
hmm well you just basically threw my bn pleco idea out the door so..i dont know guppies?

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
depending on the shellie, 20g may be too small if you want multiple males. Multi's might work, but I had gold occies in a 20 and the dominant male really harassed the other males, which then ate the dominant male's babies and stressed the females way out.

sinibotia

AC Members
Aug 31, 2014
Multi's are what i was thinking, except that finding them is a real pain. I have yet to find them for sale anywhere online and there's no LFS where I live, just big stores. ANybody know where I could find them?

Ocellatus was the other species I was thinking about, but I guess I'll have to see if I can't find some multis. Or what about brevis as an alternative?

Last edited:

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Check CL? You never know, that's where I got mine really cheap. Don't know where you are but Aquarium Adventure in Bolingbrook, IL has F1 multis. Not sure if they ship, but kind of expensive at $25 a fish.

I use pool filter sand. Looks great, easy to keep clean, and good with multis.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sinibotia

AC Members
Aug 31, 2014
I'm in central maine; there's not a fish-specific store within an hour of here I think. Just Petco, Petsmart and a non-chain general petstore, which is my only hope of finding them locally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store