Daydreaming

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I've got an unchecked lotto ticket I just know is the $100,000,000 winner. So I am wondering how my new fireplace will affect the 2 500 gallon tanks I want to setup on either side. I'm thinking of doing cichlids, SA on one side, and african on the other. Or maybe malawi and tangs? I'm pretty sure Ill have to go glass because acrylic would melt if I got the fireplace going really good. I'm thinking it will be about 6 feet wide or so, so it's going to have room for a lot of wood and will get really hot sometimes. How far do the tans need to be away from the fireplace? Im thinking since they are going to be so big it wont swing so bad. I'm also planning on something maybe in the 3-4 thousand gallon range setup along the left wall with a local trout stream setup. Think I could keep rainbows with brookies? or would the rainbows get too big and kill the brooks? I'd probably want to have crawdads and some other inverts. Might even see if I could have a FW to SW setup somehow and keep steelheads.

So anyone have any thoughts on my new setups? anything else I could do say for the music room?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Get some aquarium chillers with a temperature controller.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Well I know I would need a chiller, but how would I go about the steelhead setup? How can I get SW on one side with FW on the other? It might have to be more than 4,000 gallons then? Maybe 10,000, but maybe 30-40 feet long and kind of short and skinny? So I could have multiple life stages at one time :) Or would some type of salmon be better? remember, as soon as I check that ticket, money will not be a limiting factor.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well i would build a house size tank.and get some big boys in that tank.then make it like nature and the food chain.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
no no, read it again, this is the 100 million winner. still haven't checked it, but I've got a feeling it's a winner. I know taxes will take about half of it, but I think 50 million will be enough to work with.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
The fireplace may not effect the tanks. Most of the heat is lost up the chimney; the remainder is radiated to the front and the mantle above. There's very little heating to the sides.

100 Meg? 50% to IRS and state taxes. The house would be built around the tanks. The two little ones would be 500gal :p

For the steelhead I'd connect it to a PLC system, starting with full marine. You could have a salinity transducer in the tank and program the PLC to drain a portion of water out every day and replace it with fresh. The salinity would drop by degrees until fresh; this would simulate the transition from marine, to estuarine, to fresh. At the same time, the chiller(s) could be controlled by the PLC to continually drop the temp as you simulate the Steelhead moving upstream into progressively colder water.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
My hourly rate is extremely high, but now that you're ridiculously rich, you can afford it.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store