swordtail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maigen

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
ontario canada
Visit site
i have a male swordtail (just a little guy too) who just doesn't want any company. he doesn't get along with other male swordtails (gets aggressive & kills) & chases females around til they die of exhaustion. he is fine with everything else in the tank though. is he okay by himself or should i take him back to my lfs?

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
How big is your tank and how many females do you have? Male swordtail don't like having other males around unless there are lots of females. Bringing him back to the LFS or putting him in another tank is your best option. He'll do okay by himself for a bit, then put some females in with him, and he should be much more appreciative of them.;)

I had 3 of 4 fry turn out to be males, gave one to a friend and the other to the LFS, the remaining male and females are much calmer and happier now.

maigen

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
ontario canada
Visit site
that may have been my problem. i only had 1 male & 1 female....not enuff females. my tank is pretty stocked can't really put another couple of females in there. guess he's be happier if i took him back to the fish store. thanks for your help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store