Hello and Need Basic Betta Advice!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mistergoose

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2014
I had this great idea to get a Betta for my home studio, and of course am now overwhelmed by what seems like the 1000 different variables involved in caring for this fish - it's not that I mind putting in the effort, I just don't know where to start (or maybe where to go once I've started...)! I want to do it well, but am having a hard time navigating the forum to find exactly what I need to have for him to keep him happy and healthy! Thus far I have a temporary 1/2 Gal tank (don't panic! I have a 5 gallon tank arriving on Thursday!). The 5 gallon is a Fluval Chi, and I also ordered a 25W Fluval heater for him. I used Nutrafin water conditioner before transferring him from his tiny cup to the 1/2 gal temporary tank, let them sit for a good while and get to the same temperature, and tossed him in! What I'm actually knowledgeable about is clicker training dogs, but I figured I'd use the same positive reinforcement theory and gave him a few pellets right after I transferred him to the new environment to let him know good things happen there. I swear I read almost every single page on bettacare101.com, but what I'm not sure about is:
1) cycling the tank - do I need to get ammonia? Test strips? How often should I be changing the water? (I'm sure that may differ with the 5gal and 1/2 gal)​
2) What is the most manageable substrate? I've seen sand mentioned because waste floats to the top and can be sucked out with a baster? Where does one get this sand?
3) Does this little guy need a place to hide? What's ideal for that? Where do I get it?
4) Any other things I have to know to do this well?​
Thanks!
photo.JPG
Donatien Alphonse François de Sade, aka Marquis de Sade, known informally to our household as Alphonse.

photo.JPG

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Welcome. Good to know you are doing research and trying to do whats best for your new pet. My sig has a link to the cycling article. I suggest you read it to get an idea of how waste is processed. Seeing as you already have the fish, you would not want to add ammonia. You could try the fishless cycle with the new tank if you like. You will need to do some tests. The strips are inaccurate, but will do in a pinch. A proper liquid test kit can be had for about $30 and will last a very long time. Your water change schedule will be based on those tests. during the first week or 2 it will be some amount daily. after a while and especially after you have the 5 gal, it will be a smaller amount weekly. Basically you are trying to limit the exposure to amonia, nitrIte and nitrAte untill enough bacteria is established to process the first 2. after that, nitrate will be removed in the weekly water changes. (best to read the article to fully understand)

I find normal gravel fine to manage, you can get a gravel vac that will suck up most of the solids. That comes down to personal preference. Unless you plan on having live plants, then you would want something that will work with them.

Bettas usually tend to hang near the top most of the time, so only perhaps a floating plant would give him cover. I don't think it's needed, but would make him more happy. Always fun to watch any fish interact with its surroundings.

Bettas are pretty easy. as long as you keep the water clean it will live a long time. Im not sure about your heater, but I prefer ones you can adjust to the preset ones. Also, are you going to have a filter? and if so, what kind?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Since you already have the betta, I'd put in the small tank you have and do daily 50% water changes until you get at least the API ammonia tester. Then see if you get ammonia readings by testing every day and do WC if you get a positive reading. When you can go a week without a positive reading, then it's cycled. But do 50% WC once a week from there on. You won't even have to test after that point if It's just this betta.

I've used clear marbles as substrate so I can see when I need to use a clear flexible tubing I bought at ACE to vacuum the bottom of the tank. Or you can do pool filter sand that you can buy at a pool supply store. Play sand that you can buy at Home Depot is ok but you have to rinse it countless times to get rid of very fine grid, else your tank will be very cloudy for a day or so.

If you want real plants, sand is better. I'd do anubias nana and java ferns. They will grow using the CHI lights. Petco sells them on driftwood so if you get those it will speed up your cycling and your betta would like that.

If your studio is heated I wouldn't even bother with a heater. I don't have heaters in any of my tanks. In winter my house is set at 76 and with tanks light most of my tanks run between 76 and 78. Less equipment you have in a small tank, the better it looks.

As for feeding, I'd do every other day.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mistergoose

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2014
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! I grabbed an artificial silk plant for now (I feel like the CHI plant box would look silly empty!), though I have a friend with a freshwater tank that has offered a few floating plants. Just want to make sure I can keep the fish alive before I also work on plants! He seems to be quite content with more room. I'll grab an ammonia test kit at the very least, and I believe I can borrow my friend's water test kit otherwise.

I probably will just use the heater once the temperature starts dropping - the windows are thin and the house is usually somewhere around 68-69 when the heat is running, a tad chilly for the little guy.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I would say that the nitrAte test kit would be better. Looks like that tank has an integral filter, so once it has established, you likely wont see any ammonia or nitrIte. Plants really help out with removing waste, so don't be too scared to try them. Find out from your friend what they are and how easy they are too keep. Just keep in mind that if they start to die, they will increase the amount of waste.

Pics comming soon? :D

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
One smallish tank is how it always begins..... Welcome to the hobby.
I remembered my brother keeping an arrowana, a JD, a FM and some other assorted fish in a 40 some odd gallon tank when I was little. My mom got us a 10 gal that was a disasterous mix of tetras( 1 of about 7 kinds) , loaches, a pleco. was a mess. After I moved out I got a 10 gallon, then I saw an add for a free 55. then I had a friend give me his 30 he no longer wanted, along the way I aquired 2 more 10 gallons, as well as a 5 gal saltwater nano. yeah it's like crack. just a little bit doesn't work like it used to

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Since you did your homework and are keeping the beta in an appropriate sized tank you should have no problems! I had a beta live 5 years in a biorhythm (about 5 gallons) healthy and happy.

I too started out with a smaller tank (55g) kept accumulating tanks until I had 7 at one point lol and about 3 years ( and up trading to a 75, then a 110) after getting the 55 I had upgraded to my current 165g. A.d.d.i.c.t.i.n.g.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store