my rams had fry..twice. im sad :[

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bobsaget

AC Members
Feb 19, 2011
so my rams breed quiet often. but ive never had them have two seperate breedings, so close to eachother. they have one batch still shaking in the eggs..and then another batch, free swimming. the male does such a great job protecting his fry, but eventually he ends up eating them, or the other fish finally break through and go in.

unfortunately, im going out of town for the week..but even if i wasnt, i have no food small enough to feed my fry. i hate when the fry make it this far (to free swimming) because its just harder to see them go.. anyways, heres a video.

[video=youtube;Af5BjhADyAg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af5BjhADyAg&list=UUfIDfPFYawax_XDOtf-LvyQ[/video]

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
My Bolivians recently bred for me....my pleco had a great meal of the eggs.

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
One solution is a breeder net. Its a net box with suction cups so it sticks on the top of the tank submerged. so the fry are stuck in there and no one can attack them, really easy for feeding them too. Only tricky part is getting the fry in there, the best way is to use a gravel cleaner to suck them into a small bucket and to then pour it back into the tank into the breeder net. you will lose a few fry but you will make the rest of them survive. Good little trick and costs like 15 bucks so you can try that if you would like to raise the fry. You wont see any of the cichlid behavior and all that but if they're constantly eating the eggs, with a high breeding rate, then give it a shot eh!
As for going away, and no one can feed them then that's no good. dunno how to solve that one unless you get someone you can trust in you're house to feed them but yeah.
Solutions for food are go to the LFS and get Daphnia (i think thats it) or order it over the internet if not for these current batches then for future ones. Hope this helps
Cheers
Jason

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store