Male guppy issue.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dunedain05

AC Members
Sep 1, 2014
Ill start with my set up. 10 gallon tank, at about 75 degrees, lots of cover with large castle, 3 fake plants, 2 live plants, and air input. 4 females, 4 males, two snails, and one beta, yes I said Beta lol I have purchased everything, but the snails, at Petsmart. The first "phase" of my aquarium I lost all my females and had to replace them and lost my beta. I thought that I had too many males and they were picking on the rest, including the beta that had severe damage on its tail and fin. Now that I have replaced my beta and females, they are doing great and now I am losing males like crazy. The beta IS NOT attacking my fish. None of the guppies have damage what so ever they are just dieing. I also have a filter system, so along with the live plants I am pretty confident of the water quality....but that is the only thing I can think is the issue. Any ideas?????? ***Side note, one male died literally within hrs and others have died about a week after being put in the aquarium.

Dunedain05

AC Members
Sep 1, 2014
I have not tested the water quality due to the fact if the water quality was bad I would think that all fish would die within the same time period if this was the issue.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Not always true. Some fish even of the same type have stronger or weaker immune systems. I would test it, it will tell you a lot. The first "phase" you spoke of was likely a water quality issue as well. How long has it been setup? Are you doing water changes and if so, on what schedule?

Dunedain05

AC Members
Sep 1, 2014
It has been set up for about a month now. I let the system run for about a week or so before I started to add fish. I have not changed the water, nor have I really planned to. Ive never had an issue before, not have I ever known anyone who didnt change the water have issues before as long as the filtration and bottom feeders are doing their job. Like mentioned before I replaced several guppies yesterday and one had died within a few hrs. The others are going strong. My aquarium set up had been stored in a barn, exposed to the elements, for a long time before I set it up. Im worried some residue from mice or something could be on my equipment...I knew better to clean the stuff with soap. How much is a test kit? From what I read ph 5-7 is ok?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Well first off, a master test kit is about $30 and will last years. The fact it was stored outside could have an impact, but I would lean more towards a water quality issue. I've never known someone to not do water changes and not have major problems at some point. Likely the initial deaths were because the tank was going through the initial cycle process. That is explained in detain in the link below in my signature. But basically, you did not have sufficient bacteria established to break down wastes. At this point, you are likely cycled, but any fish who lived through that process are likely not at ideal health. As ammonia is broken down, the end result is nitrate. Nitrate is much less harmful to your fish than ammonia, but as time goes on, nitrate levels will get to a point of being toxic. A new fish coming from a relatively low nitrate situation instantly to a high one is shocked more than a fish that slowly acclimated to it over a month. ( thats not to say, that sometimes you do get a fish that is already not doing well and the stress of a move is enough to set it over) At the very least, take a water sample in and get it tested. Ask for the numbers (don't accept "they're fine") Like I said, It could be something to do with it being stored outside, but eliminating water quality issues will help narrow it down.

As for PH 7 is the middle. from 6.8 to 7.8 is what is said to be Ideal. Really, unless you are keeping wild guppies, they are likely to be fine at whatever your tap is, since that's probably what they are in in the fish store anyways.

Dunedain05

AC Members
Sep 1, 2014
I just feel like changing the water and messing up the environment would cause more shock. Isnt that what the plants and the filter are for? I could understand if I didnt have live plants, or too small of a filter. Ive also seen people use guppies in aquaponics systems which are way less ideal of an environment then what I have.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
The filter is basically a bed for your bacteria. It won't remove nitrates, only serve to house those bacteria that change ammonia to nitrite, then to nitrate. Nitrate is less harmful to fish, but is still bad when it gets too high. While it is true live plants will absorb those waste products, how much is another question. I have a 10 gallon with a few plants (3 amazon swords and some hairgrass that struggled to take off before I started co2) I still have to do water changes to keep nitrates in check, although I'm a bit overstocked until my 30 gallon is ready. I'm really just speculating here. Your water quality may be perfectly fine, but if you know that for sure it's the easiest problem to rule out (unless of course there are some obvious illnesses present, which you have not mentioned)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
How you acclimate the fish could be an issue too.

And bear in mind that the live plants will only be of benefit if they are actually growing. If they are decaying, they will add to the bioload in the tank, not help with it.

Also knowing your water source and what treatments you may or may not do to it would help narrow down the problem.

Dunedain05

AC Members
Sep 1, 2014
I think I may have come to a conclusion to what happened, without testing the water. I added to the water the other day with a pitcher. Didnt think much of it, but depending on how well the pitcher was cleaned off there could have been a lot of soap residue on it. With the exception of one fish that died within hrs of being added to the tank, I have had no issues and all seem alive and well. I will try to get a test kit soon, and if things happen again get my money back from Petsmart and try another source of fish. Thanks for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store