Compact internal filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
I am looking for a compact internal filter for my daughter's 5 gal tank in which she keeps her pet ADFs (2). The tank is an Aqueon 5.0 kit and the filter it comes with is a joke. I added a Marina S10 HOB to it, but it prevents from the hood being closed and there's large gap in the back. We are worried the frogs may jump out! I looked for internal filters. I considered Tetra Whisper i10 and Marina I25 - both with good reviews, but somewhat large for the 5 gal tank and would take up quite a bit tank space. So I decided on some (more) compact ones. I was at Petsmart and happened to see a very compact Top Fin internal filter 10.
http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstor...ferralID=0b966238-32bd-11e4-9a8f-001b2166becc

I am also considering AquaTop internal filter IF201
http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-internal-filter-if-201-.html

They both seem very compact. The aquatop one may be too small??! I would like to know your experiences/thoughts on these two and if there is any preference. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Penn Plax makes an internal air-driven filter; QD1, which I used for several years. Works well on small tanks and is easy to clean.

Mark

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't consider air driven ones, thinking they might not be quiet enough. The tank is in my daughter's bedroom.... Is the Penn Plax one quiet enough?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
It's as quiet as the air pump that runs it. It also has some audible bubbling. Quiet enough? Depends on how you and your daughter define "enough" :)

Mark

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I sleep with a fan on, more because I'm a hot sleeper, but some people like the "white noise". The right air pump would be a bit quieter than my fan, however some people need silence to sleep.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I was going to recommend a Fluval Nano...I've had good luck with an old Fluval Mini (for 10 gallon tanks - about 15 years old and still going strong) and a Fluval U1, which is 3-5 years old and perfect, too. Both are internal filters, quiet and just great. However, the Fluval Nano has gotten a lot of terrible reviews on Amazon.

However, the TOM filter has gotten great reviews, is lower priced, and seems ideal for you: http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Inte...409712940&sr=8-1&keywords=tom+internal+filter

Internal filters are the quietest filter you can get - on par with really expensive canister filters for being quiet.

The perfect internal, but no longer being made, was the duetto mini. Duettos were superb filters, last forever (I think the one I have is about 15 years old, too, and works perfectly. A huge advantage of the internal filters are that they are all water cooled, so their motors tend to last longer than other filter motors.

Let us know what you end up with!

Eric

Eric

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
A 160 gph filter is way too much for a 5 gallon aquarium. It will be a tornado for the fish.

What exactly don't you like about the Aqueon filter?

Duetto's aren't made anymore, but the Aqueon Quietflow internal filter is made by the same factory and very similar in design. Even has some more features than the Duetto.

Andy

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
@Jayhawk... Thanks for the good info. I did consider TOM also, but it's size is similar (from what I've read) to that of Tetra Whisper i10 or Marina I25, both of which I think would take up a lot of tank space..... I am leaning towards the AquaTop IF201.... Hope that works..... It's cheap enough to give it a try...

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
A 160 gph filter is way too much for a 5 gallon aquarium. It will be a tornado for the fish.

What exactly don't you like about the Aqueon filter?

Duetto's aren't made anymore, but the Aqueon Quietflow internal filter is made by the same factory and very similar in design. Even has some more features than the Duetto.

Andy
Which filter is at 160 gph you are referring to? Agreed that would be a bit too much. The Aqueon filter I referred to in original post is not one of their stand alone variety.... I do like those (and I do have one Aqueon QF30 on our 25 gal), but this one is attached to the tank (Aqueon mini bow 5.0). It sits way up on top witha very small carbon cartridge and it's pretty weak, IMO. I like adding an extra filter anyhow..... Thanks for the info about Aqueon QF internal filter you had mentioned...... Didn't know about it. I am not able to find one that's small enough for this tank, on line. I will keep looking.... Thanks again :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store