Oil film

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jambo101

AC Members
Jun 3, 2012
Montreal
Seems i have what looks like film of oil and dust floating on the top of my Aquarium, Not sure how it got there, the only new product i've been using other than regular Tetra food is the occasional small cube of frozen blood worms. The Aquarium has been trouble free for several years and is stocked with a few dozen tetras,the plants are plastic.The filters are one hang on the back type and one canister type..
How can i address this problem?

Thanks

Heres a rather pathetic attempt at a pic of the problem.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Not sure how others deal with this, but I just remove my hood and gently place a papertowel over it for a brief second then throw it away. I used to have a tank in the kitchen, and attribute it to cooking oil in the air. I don't seem to have the problem in my other tanks as often, but I could be wrong about the source. I do notice more of a film after doing a large batch of bacon or deep fried foods though.

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
I've had this problem in the past. The way I dealt with it is just to put an air pump with an air stone and the bubbles seem to get rid of it. You might want to try that if you don't already have it.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Not sure how others deal with this, but I just remove my hood and gently place a papertowel over it for a brief second then throw it away. I used to have a tank in the kitchen, and attribute it to cooking oil in the air. I don't seem to have the problem in my other tanks as often, but I could be wrong about the source. I do notice more of a film after doing a large batch of bacon or deep fried foods though.
I use the same paper towel method. Learned it in the Navy cleaning the oil film off the water in the ultrasound cleaner we used on teletype machines.

Mark

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think generally a film on top of the water is normally protein based... You may find that rinsing the bloodworms, or defrosting and then feeding from a toothpick and not dumping the waste/liquid into your tank helps.

and to remove, paper towels work well, or there's a surface skimmer that you can buy for your canister filter intake (I won't say that they work terribly well though)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store