Sinking fish - swim bladder issue? Need help please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Hi guys,

I'm having a problem I've never encountered before. My young Firemouth is sinking and sitting on top of the sand in my tank. Just sinks and sits upright on his belly. He is still otherwise acting normal. Eating, swims from his spot but its now a darting motion instead of 'swimming' per se. He can still get up into the water column but I can tell this takes effort as he's flailing his pectoral fins rapidly.

Water parameters are fine, no ammonia, nitrite, very low nitrate if any.

All other fish are doing well. There are no other Firemouths in the tank so I've ruled out that its some sort of nesting behavior.

I did notice a small white fungus looking splotch at the back of his dorsal fin where the fin meets his body. Its very small though. Considering spot treating it with peroxide if it doesn't clear up on its own.

I'm at a loss. I'm assuming its an internal infection or swim bladder issue? Also, he is not bloated, no dropsy, no popeye, no swollen abdomen or anything. Otherwise looks completely normal and like I said is still eating aggressively.

I've begun feeding Angels Plus medicated flake II. Not sure what course of action to take.

Can someone help me please?

I also took a video and will try to post it here if I can.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I saw the non-bloating part of your post...weird, that was my first thought. Internal parasite? Eh?

rockboy

Registered Member
Sep 9, 2014
Fresh veggies are also good for goldfish, like cucumbers and zucchini blanched first.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Sorry - have been unable to get back on line. I've fasted the fish for 3/4 days now. Still no bloating, still alive and otherwise well. I plan on blanching some peas tonight and seeing how that goes. All other fish are completely fine so I'm hoping its not a parasite. No new fish have been added and these guys have been together for several months. This Firemouth is a tough SOB too and has survived some crazy accidents so I'm not sure what's wrong... he's also just starting to put on some size and beautiful color. I'm hoping the fast and peas relieve him if its pressure on the swim bladder but I really am at a loss

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I had a roseline do something similar to this, now that I think about it...he just kind of floated and rolled around the tank for about ten days before finally uprighting and figuring out his life. Still not sure what happened to this day.

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
I am very much a newbie but one of my female mollies did something just like this for a week. Not pregnant (slender before during and after and no fry). She eventually started acting normal after I removed a Tiger Barb that has been chasing her around. After that fish was removed she seemed back to herself. So is there anyway this could be stress vs a parasite? Like I said, I am a newbie but trying to help :) Hope he recovers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store