Jewels in a 55

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
A pair with lots of dither and target fish. It's always a crap shoot with jewels. I tried four once in a 55 with live plants and lots of hardscape. One murdered the other three in one day while I was at work. They can be some of the nastiest fish there are. Along with that, they are great parents.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
That was my aim when I put the four juvies in the 55. Once a pair formed I'd move the other two to another tank or rehome them...didn't work out.

The most luck I had with jewels was not in a situation which was intended. I'd put two in a 20long the day before my 90 gal cracked right down the middle. The only refuge I had for two large clown knives and some other large fish was to put them in the 20. The pair of jewels spawned in a terribly overcrowded tank and were perfect parents. It was a month before I could afford another tank to move the former 90gal inhabitants into and during that time the pair of jewels spawned and raised a few of the young into 3/4" size. I was surprised that two small cichlids could completely cower 2 clown knives, a green terror and a pair of firemouths. Very nasty little fish when they want to be.

Mark

Reactions: Frank Castle

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
That was my aim when I put the four juvies in the 55. Once a pair formed I'd move the other two to another tank or rehome them...didn't work out.

The most luck I had with jewels was not in a situation which was intended. I'd put two in a 20long the day before my 90 gal cracked right down the middle. The only refuge I had for two large clown knives and some other large fish was to put them in the 20. The pair of jewels spawned in a terribly overcrowded tank and were perfect parents. It was a month before I could afford another tank to move the former 90gal inhabitants into and during that time the pair of jewels spawned and raised a few of the young into 3/4" size. I was surprised that two small cichlids could completely cower 2 clown knives, a green terror and a pair of firemouths. Very nasty little fish when they want to be.

Mark
I have read they are quite aggressive during breeding, perhaps I should rethink this :/

Reactions: Frank Castle

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
You can count on them being "aggressive" during breeding. I have a breeding pair of Turquiose jewels that parent raise, and three dozen one inch young you are welcome to as I must go in hospital next week for surgeries..I will be out of commision for 4-6 months..need homes for dozens angelfish too?

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
You can count on them being "aggressive" during breeding. I have a breeding pair of Turquiose jewels that parent raise, and three dozen one inch young you are welcome to as I must go in hospital next week for surgeries..I will be out of commision for 4-6 months..need homes for dozens angelfish too?
Oh goodness what a great offer but i'm nowhere near ready for fish right now for this setup, although if the angels are nice enough I may be interested in a few of those if you can ship.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Carol Francis' platinum marbles(two breeding pairs) C. Francis Blue leopards, Gibbs clowns, :"dd"black pairs and quarters from Stuffromlou..nice, prolific koi pairs and young, two pair gold/marbled pairs.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Carol Francis' platinum marbles(two breeding pairs) C. Francis Blue leopards, Gibbs clowns, :"dd"black pairs and quarters from Stuffromlou..nice, prolific koi pairs and young, two pair gold/marbled pairs.
Those are grow fish, do you think they would survive the shipping process?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I have read they are quite aggressive during breeding, perhaps I should rethink this :/
I've found over the years that their worst aggression (murderous) is toward conspecifics. While aggressive towards other species during spawning, it is more the common cichlid, "stay away from my babies!", type behavior and not, "I must kill you all!"

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store